65 Mustang Crate Engine?

Rye425

May 25, 2007
CT
Well the 65 Fastback that I have is a father/son project and is getting to that engine stage. We don't have the original block and therefore are looking at crate engines. I came across a site a while back called http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/specs/302_350dropAL.html which looks promising. I'm aware that the 351 is the largest block that will drop into the car with no real modifications. Anyone have any suggestions on the engine or bad experiences with this place. The car is mostly a weekend warrior type.

To be honest my dad's birthdays is upcoming and this is hopefully the surprise. Have about a month or so.

• Sponsors (?)

I would also suggest getting a shortblock and building it yourself. It's not quite as rewarding as building it from the ground up, but still very satisfying knowing you put it all together and selected all of the components yourself.

I'm currently building a 331 for my 65.

Whatever you do, come up with a plan & intended use of the vehicle, and stick to. It's cheaper to do it right the first time then to go back and fix it.

I've never dealt with DSS, but have heard good things.

I've never heard about the company you listed, but a point of observation: Take a look at their engine stands, if they cut corners with that, what else?

Whatever you decide on, Good Luck. Keep searching threads, and asking questions.

I too am interested in what companies are recommended for crate engines. I am doing an I6 to V8 swap on my 65, so I am basically starting from scratch as far as drivetrain goes. I am interested in a turnkey setup that is virtually complete from air cleaner to oil pan. I was looking at the Engine Factory. Ford Crate Engines,Mustang Engine,Ford Cobra Replica Engines,Ford Truck Engines,302,351w,Ford Stroker, Hot Rod Engines Has anyone used them? They sent me a breif VHS tape of what they do. It looks to me like a reputable place. They inlcude a dyno print out with each motor. This way when I get it, it won't really need much if any adjustments.

I purchased my engine from The Engine Factory" a few years back. No issues.

What's up with their web site, they used to have many different HP options for 302's now I only see 2.

Thats cool you got your engine from them. Which one did you get? We were considering the.... Actually the engine we were considering is not available anymore. They really did change their website around and the prices seem to have gone up a bit. I can't remember though, maybe not much.

I got my 331 level 10 longblock from DSS w. AFR 185's on it. 10.1 compression, forged rods, pistons, crank. Its nice.

Also consider Ford Racing. It really depends on how far you are taking the motor/car. There are all different combinations.
You have to consider the strength of stock blocks/ aftermarket, and how far you want the motor to be able to "grow" hp wise. For example if your goal is 350 hp, you can get that from a stroked 302. HOwever, you will hit the limit of a stock 302 based motor at some point. Then its headed toward aftermarket blocks/351 set ups.

So, find your goal, compare it to the components and what it can handle, and choose up.
I made the "mistake" of going with a stock block, which is fine for the hp it makes now (around 370-380). But, I'm limited interms of adding nitrous/boost, as the block will not hold. Going aftermarket (DART, world, etc) would have been cheaper if I had chosen that years ago, rather then swapping now..

Mike