'65 Mustang GT brake question

BoostedmaxPSI

Apr 30, 2003
Keller, TX
I'm on the hunt for a '65 - '66 GT. I've looked at two in the past weeks and both appeared to be "true" GT's however, for some reason the previous owners converted the disks back to drums!?!?

Was there an issue with the early Ford disk brake system? Both cars had the correct master cylinder and brake pedal just drum brakes.

FS

• Sponsors (?)

The early GT discs were a four piston fixed caliper design by Kelsey Hayes and in my opinion they are fantastic brakes...I have 2 sets of them and I have always liked their stopping power. The only real problem with then is they can stick if you allow corrosion to build up between the pistons and the area of the calipers above the seal in the bores. The simple fix for this is a slight bevel cut using a brake hone to give a little more clearance and a little silcone brake grease packed into the dust caps if you want. Once I clearanced the ones on my Shelby I never had a problem with them again.

Thanks for the reply. The last GT only has 62K miles and has sat for awhile. The current owner said he purchased the car this way due to the brakes being severly rusted. Is there a donor car that I can correct this with OEM Ford parts? i.e. Grenada, Thunderbird and so forth...