'65 Mustang - Stereo Install Ideas

geordie

Founding Member
May 10, 2002
Looking for pics and ideas for modern single DIN radio install.
I'm not interested in Classic Autosound or Retrosound.
Don't wanna cut up the stock dash radio opening.
My car is not stock, would consider visible install under the dash, side of the transmission tunnel, under the seat, whatever. I plan on buying a single DIN, non CD receiver and using a universal install mount. I'm gonna have a remote so I need the unit visible, don't wanna futz with a IR repeater.
Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I like the custom console option which a number of people here have done. I'm planning one that'll have the look of a "cruiser" console (the one with the cup holders offset to the right), but with an angled part rising up to meet the bottom of the dashboard. I like the original '67-'68 console's "roll-up door", but figure I can source a wider version from some recent model car's console. It's popular to use those sort of sliding flexible doors to hide cupholders now.

Also, check back a bit in the Tech forum for skywalker's thread on the USA-630; there were some ideas there (such as wired remotes wi' LCD displays). It'd be cool to have that tucked down next to the seat, nearly invisible, with the head unit mounted back in the trunk.

No console, no cup holders, not the look I'm going for.
I found the thread you're referring to but the pictures seem to have gone, at least I can't see them, all I get is <Big> where the picture should be.

I have toyed with the idea of a trunk-mounted stereo run by a wired remote recessed into one of those Shelby radio-delete plates that Branda and others offer for sale. If the remote is the right size and shape, it could probably be surface-mounted on the radio-delete plate and look right at home.

Of course, if you want to keep the factory radio that's not an option. Mine is dead anyway, so there's no point in leaving it in the dash. You can see some pics of wired remotes at Crutchfield's website, just search the car audio section.

I'm planning to mount a radio behind the dash and then mount the face place when the radio normally goes, wired directly to the head unit.

So the head unit faceplate would be mounted over the existing dash opening and hard wired to the radio installed in the dash.....interesting. How would you hard wire between the two?

So the head unit faceplate would be mounted over the existing dash opening and hard wired to the radio installed in the dash.....interesting. How would you hard wire between the two?

By running a wire (probably a ribbon cable like we used to use on computer hard drives) and soldering it.

The hard part is just mounting the faceplate. That'll be completely dependent upon the face plate.

Has any one thought of inverting the typical universal under dash mount enclosure and mounting it on the transmission tunnel under the dash, under and forward of the ash tray?

Has any one thought of inverting the typical universal under dash mount enclosure and mounting it on the transmission tunnel under the dash, under and forward of the ash tray?

That's essentially what people do when they do custom consoles. I've seen installs where people did custom center sections just for the stereos.

The problem with that is that it creates a problem if you are like me and want AC in the car.

Just to close out the thread from my point of view. I've bought a Sony Digital Media receiver, no CD player. Don't know exactly where I'll be mounting it, but it'll probably be in the glove box.