65 Mustang Transmission Linkage

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by af65pony, Mar 23, 2014.

1. af65pony

af65pony New Member

I changed my automatic floor gear shift lever and have tons of issues since. I could not get it out of park. I took it apart again and used the small nut on the bottom and adjusted it one way and tried it again still no luck. I took it apart again and went the other direction and still no luck. I took the whole assembly out and installed it on a bench and the. Installed it in the car. This time the car would shift, but would not shift into park. I had to lift the lever notch up to get it into park. When I got the gear shifter into park the car still rolled backwards like it was in reverse. Does anyone have detailed directions on how to adjust the shift lever and also the linkage below the car?

2. horse sence

horse sence Please don't call me Mom SN Certified Technician

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Put the shifter in park ,un hook the rod ,make sure the trany is in park . adjust the rod so it fits the shifter leaver and the leaver on the trany ,and you should be very close.

3. af65pony

af65pony New Member

Thanks for the advice. I will try this out this weekend.

4. horse sence

horse sence Please don't call me Mom SN Certified Technician

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Is the shifter a factory shifter ? An aftermarket shifter may have a shorter or longer lever than the factory one and that will throw off the shift pattern making it impossible to adjust with out drilling other holes for the shift rod .