... '65 Mustang V8 Front Shock Absorbers ? ...

George'65

Feb 14, 2007

Hi,

If this is not a section for technical, I apologize and it can be removed / moved to proper one. Thanks.

My question ; For 1965 Mustang + V8 engine, what is the best brand of Front Shock Absorbers ? ( I'm in need of a new set very soon )

- Best off the shelf / not custom made

- Best value

Thanks you,

GM.

• Sponsors (?)

It kinda depends on your budget and how you drive your car.

I think for most spirited street driving KYB gas adjust are good. I have them on all 4 corners of my 65 and have no complaints. They are reasonably priced. I don't drive my car real hard though.

If you just cruise in yours, you may like the KYB GR2 better.

Now, If you are wanting a better shock and are going to drive your car in a very spirited manner or hard then you may want to look at Bilstein or Koni. I hear mixed reviews of the Koni. Some say it is much better than the KYB gas adjust, while others say they like KYB better. I also hear good things about the Edelbrock IAS shocks, but have no experience with them. I think Bilstein is about as good as it gets.

By the way, I would recommend replacing all 4 shocks at the same time. Stay away from air shocks in the rear.

It kinda depends on your budget and how you drive your car.

I think for most spirited street driving KYB gas adjust are good. I have them on all 4 corners of my 65 and have no complaints. They are reasonably priced. I don't drive my car real hard though.

If you just cruise in yours, you may like the KYB GR2 better.

Now, If you are wanting a better shock and are going to drive your car in a very spirited manner or hard then you may want to look at Bilstein or Koni. I hear mixed reviews of the Koni. Some say it is much better than the KYB gas adjust, while others say they like KYB better. I also hear good things about the Edelbrock IAS shocks, but have no experience with them. I think Bilstein is about as good as it gets.

By the way, I would recommend replacing all 4 shocks at the same time. Stay away from air shocks in the rear.

Hi TX,

Thanks much.

My style of driving is cruising. No place to do any slalom, fast speed is only short burst !

I tend to lean toward KYB Gas-a-Just too. Too many holes in my pockets already.

Have you heard of Gabriel ? Are they any good . A friend said they are OK !

Thanks & Cheers,

GM.

The gabriel are just 'stock' type replacements. I have the Edelbrock IAS and I love them! They are a bit stiff, but make the car handle very well (with all the other items) I also have heard good things about the KYB and those were my second choice.

The KYB Gas-A-Justs are stiffer than the KYB GR-2's so it's kind of a prefernce thing, but the GAJ are definately the stiffer of the 2. The GR-2's are less $ than the GAJ's. I have the GR-2's all the way around and like the ride, it's sporty without being harsh or jarring but doesn't wallow or bottom either. How the car rides will also depend on springs F/R and how new/shot they are. I believe I got all 4 GR-2's for <$100 from MU or NPD, etc. Can't comment on the Gabriels as I haven't used them in years.
Jon

The gabriels are just stock like replacements, although some are gas charged now. I had them before on my 65 when it was still a 6 cylinder and they were OK. I don't think I would want them on my car now though.