65 or 70 TB for my setup?

Jason 302

10 Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
Newark, Ohio
It will be TFS #1 cam, ported E7s, BBK LT's and probably a Edelbrock Performer intake. What is the opening on that intake? Stock heads won't be on forever. If I go with 65 i'll get FMS but if i go 70 i'll probably go BBK.

• Sponsors (?)

Jason , I know its expensive however, I would go with accufab 65 or 70 mm tb. I like my 65 mm accufab. I think the 70mm would be ok with your mods

Even with aftermarket heads, the 65mm will be plenty - there's no performance benefit to going with the 70mm. Many people with BBK units complain of noisiness and whistling - you may not be happy with the quality of that unit. While the Accufab is the best looking unit out there, in terms of operational quality, the FMS and Accufab units are far away the ones with the least complaining customers -- never heard anyone complain about either. And with the FMS unit, you get a brand new tps sensor and new iab solenoid. If it were my money, I'd put it towards a 65mm FMS unit.

For the Edelbrock intake, they recomend the 70mm TB. The opening is a 70mm opening. When I first did my heads and intake, I ran the stock TB because my TB was late on shipping. The car was much stronger but when the 70mm Accufab TB+EGR came in and I finally put it on, it really woke it up.

BTW: It was almost hard to put the TB+EGR on because it's closer to jewery than a auto part. The fit and finish is top notch. I highly recomend the Accufab.

The older Edelbrock throttle bodies frequently got the same 'noise and whistling' complaints that Mac and BBK users complained of. However, several folks have posted that the newer Edelbrocks are manufactured by another outfit, and with that change the noise problems are gone. You may have to try a separate post inquiring about new Edelbrock t/b's to get some different perspective on them. However, as long as there's any doubt at all, I'd stick with FMS or Accufab. You simply can't go wrong with either.

Thanks guys, got my Edelbrock intake yesterday, goina port match my heads tomorrow. I think I'll go with the FMS 65, save some bucks, it's quiet, and get a new IAC, plus my dyno book showed that a 70mm didn't make much difference on a 320hp motor so I think the 65 will be perfect for my setup.