65 Rear Suspension Questions

I currently have the original 3 leaf springs on, rear sway bar, and urithane bushings. We also have a pair of old gas shocks on, that we installed by a friend that he had laying around. The car has a 351W, and 3.55 Rear end wit FMX tranny, and its a daily driven car. We want to upgrade the rear end, and seeing if anyone had any input or experience with a 4 or 4 1/4 leaf springs and a shackle kit. And if QA1 gas shocks or Koni shocks would be bettter? Let me no if you have any other good options.

• Sponsors (?)

Wanna bet? All 64-73 Mustangs had four-leaf springs, from the lowliest six cylinder to the mighty BOSS 429.

If you are missing a leaf, a nice set of GT 4-leaf springs with all the attaching hardware will cure your problem for under $200.

I had Konis, but when I moved here the roads were too darn rough, so I switched to KYB Gas-A-Just. Some even find them too stiff, and use the KYB GR2.

Ya sorry bout that, it was supposed to be a 4 not a three. So do you think that putting shackles on it would make a difference at all? And planning on going with 235/60/15 rear tires, but if i go with that option, should i go to longer rear shackles to have a better clearance?

Ya sorry bout that, it was supposed to be a 4 not a three. So do you think that putting shackles on it would make a difference at all? And planning on going with 235/60/15 rear tires, but if i go with that option, should i go to longer rear shackles to have a better clearance?

Extended shackles will lift the rear slightly, screw up the pinion angle risking U-joint or differential damage, and cause the back end of the car wiggle in a suggestive and performance killing manner.

The tires you suggest are about one size too big for a 65-66:

Mustang Wheel and Tyre Chart

I am running 5 1/2 leaf standard eye rear springs with the prothane shackles, shelby style traction bars and 50/50 lakewood shocks. Also I am running 245/45/17 rear tires and they fit under the stock body work. Car is a little firm in the rear but, made a huge change from my worn out stock leafs.

My k-model 65 mustang has a 10" wide hoosier drag slick and it fits under the stock sheet metal with no rubbing issues. The k-model springs are 1" lower than a GT. The street tires are 245/60/14, yes 14" magnesium wheels, and they fit just fine.

I am running 5 1/2 leaf standard eye rear springs with the prothane shackles, shelby style traction bars and 50/50 lakewood shocks. Also I am running 245/45/17 rear tires and they fit under the stock body work. Car is a little firm in the rear but, made a huge change from my worn out stock leafs.

Really, are the shackles regular and not the extended ones. And are the lake wood shocks adjustable? Also is your setup for daily driving, and is it so firm that its uncomfortable, bc i also dont want it how it is now, really bouncy and annoying to sit in the backseat

Really, are the shackles regular and not the extended ones. And are the lake wood shocks adjustable? Also is your setup for daily driving, and is it so firm that its uncomfortable, bc i also dont want it how it is now, really bouncy and annoying to sit in the backseat

The shackles are regular...just alot more material on them (very strong) and they have Urethane bushings. The lakewoods are 50/50 non adjustable. I wouldnt say the ride is by any means uncomfortable. and thats with 17x8 wheels with 245/45/17 tires. If you are not looking for ultimate performance I would probably go with 4 1/2 or 5 leafs... I thought I had a picture, but this gives a slight idea. I will take some better pictures tonight

View attachment 219862

Just a data point note....going from a 2.5 inch tapered tube housing to a 3 inch tube housing will lower the car .25 inch if all else stays the say. If you change springs, spring rates, shocks, etc...well then it can be tough to track.

the spring perches on my 8inc were totally flattened and rolled half around the housing becuase someone...(ME) put a 408ci in the front. So with all the new stuff it sits pretty nice...you can see the ride height pretty well in some of the pictures.