65 restomod shock tower brace modification?

For those of you that have gone the restomod route and an aftermarket shock tower brace did you cut off the old support from the shock tower? The new aluminum brace attaches to the top of the shock tower not the bracket or whatever you wish to call it, that sticks out. I think it will look goofy if I leave it?

DSC05769.jpg

Attachments

• DSC05769.jpg
    DSC05769.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 995
  • Sponsors (?)

I used a spot weld cutter and then dressed off the remaining metal so the towers look like they have never had the stock style braces. Once or two of them were an odd shape and really difficult to use a spot weld cutter so I just pried and twisted it off.

Thanks guys, I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, just occured to me the other day that they weren't relevant anymore and would be an eyesore. Getting them off shouldn't be too hellish, done a lot worse.

Cheers

FWIW (Sorry for the unsolicited opinion here) But, if you use an export brace with fancy joints on the ends it may not provide enough stiffness to reduce "twist".
That is, it will not stop one shock tower from going higher than the other tower. The original export and Shelby brace was a thick stamping that also provided bracing on more than one plane, it was not just to stop the towers from wanting to lean back but also to reduce twist.

The plane of the inner fender and frame rail will do more toward resisting vertical movement than any type of brace with a bending load attached to the firewall. I like to use the example of a shoe box. Without a top it is very flexible. With a top it is very rigid. Triangulation loads the brace in compression/extension which is different than a bending load.