'65-style grille for lower gt valance?

• Sponsors (?)

Gellpak said:
Where can I get this? Billet aluminum versions are available but I prefer the black honeycomb style for my grilles. Can't find anything though at my normal dealers to match the main grille.

I'm assuming that you're talking about a GT 350R model style valance, and you want a grill to go in the lower opening. If that is the case, just find yourself an old, junkyard bound grill and cut it carefully to match the opening. A hack saw will do the job quite well if you're careful.
Its quite easy to fab some simple brackets to mount it. Heck, you could probably even wire tie it and it would look fine, if done right, but I would recommend something a little better for asthetics sake. I did this and just simply used some metal strap that I carefully bent up tight with the grill and painted black to mount the lower grill. :nice:

danewers said:
i too have been looking for a honeycomb pattern to make a grille for my '67 coupe. unfortunately i cant make one out of a '65 grille because it is much smaller.

Sounds like a machine shop job then. Find a beat to Hades '65 grill to take for an example as well as your grill for dimensions, and I'll bet they can do it. There's more than one way to skin a cat folks; before the billet grills were out and readily available, I was looking at full size truck grills to figure out which one had virtually the same shape so I could trim it down to fit my grill opening. Where there's a will there's a way.

You mean like this?

http://www.mcnichols.com/products/perforated/hexagonalhole/

These guys have a lot of different types of metal. Sometimes, if your not needing a whole lot, they have what they call 'off-fall' (I think that's what they called it) it's what's left over on the floor when they sheer off bigger jobs. For a grill opening, of a lower valance opening, this would likely be the best sized piece to be able to get and they sell it pretty cheap if it's 'off-fall' too.

1320stang said:
You mean like this?

http://www.mcnichols.com/products/perforated/hexagonalhole/

These guys have a lot of different types of metal. Sometimes, if your not needing a whole lot, they have what they call 'off-fall' (I think that's what they called it) it's what's left over on the floor when they sheer off bigger jobs. For a grill opening, of a lower valance opening, this would likely be the best sized piece to be able to get and they sell it pretty cheap if it's 'off-fall' too.

i already contacted that company...they wanted 200 bucks for a piece the size of my grille! i even asked if they had any scrap laying around and they still wanted 200 bucks.

danewers said:
i already contacted that company...they wanted 200 bucks for a piece the size of my grille! i even asked if they had any scrap laying around and they still wanted 200 bucks.

Maybe you don't sound pretty enough on the phone? :D :rlaugh:

I sourced a piece roughly 1'x4' of some round perf from them for about $40 plus shipping, which was going to run about $10 about 10 years ago. It was off-fall.