65 to 67 shock tower swap.

393pony

May 5, 2006
I have a 65 that I am getting ready to swap shock towers in. The lower control arms are longer on the 67 and so are the strut rods. I have those parts for the swap.

Is there anyone here that has made this swap before and might be able to give me some insight? Is there anything that I do not see that would make this not work?

• Sponsors (?)

I was told by a knowledgeable friend of mine that owns a Mustang shop that if you changed shock towers on a 65/66 that an FE would fit in the bay. A hood scoop would have to be used though. I've never seen it done though. Has anybody saw one?

If you want a WIDE engine in there, remove the shock towers and do a "mustang 2" suspension. The best setups are NOT using MII parts, but just some general geometry points. They seem to work well...as I am already committed to finding out. I wouldn't do this for a road course car [although Martz will debate this...and reportedly has some very good track cars using their version]...but for everyone else, it is a good solution.

danny clemens said:
I was told by a knowledgeable friend of mine that owns a Mustang shop that if you changed shock towers on a 65/66 that an FE would fit in the bay. A hood scoop would have to be used though. I've never seen it done though. Has anybody saw one?

Man would I love to talk to your knowlegable friend.

The reason for the swap is because I have a 351 block with raised port Trick Flow R heads. I have about 3/4 of an inch between the shock tower and the heads. No way to get headers in there unless I make room.

2bav8 said:
IMO it would be a lot easier to notch your existing shock towers rather than R&R them. Just my $.02

I have raised port heads on my 351. They raised the exhaust port until they are even with the A arm bolts. If I notch the shock tower, I have to move the A arm. That would screw with the suspension geometry.

mtbdoc said:
If you want a WIDE engine in there, remove the shock towers and do a "mustang 2" suspension. The best setups are NOT using MII parts, but just some general geometry points. They seem to work well...as I am already committed to finding out. I wouldn't do this for a road course car [although Martz will debate this...and reportedly has some very good track cars using their version]...but for everyone else, it is a good solution.

Thanks for the suggestion. There is a part of me that agrees with you, and I may have to end up doing it. But I want to keep the Mustang look inside the engine compartment. I want the shock tower look. If it weren't for that I would look at the IFS kits out there. But until I run out of options on the swap, I am going to try to do it this way.

Thanks again friend.