'66 back home...a quick question

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 2, 2003
Sea of Tranquility
Brief history...

My aunt bought this car new in 1966. After she passed away in 72 my grandfather drove it to work about 5 miles a day. After he passed it sat up for a while when I was offered it when I was looking for a car at 16 in 1981. I passed (who wanted an "old" car at 16? :) ) My cousin "bought" it and drove it for a few years until she put it in a ditch. Sat up for two years until my uncle and aunt (sister of original owner.) bought it and took it to Georgia. He took it to the frame and restored it while having to replace the right front fender and front bumper. Their daughter drove it to school and once she left for Stanford he drove it to work. Now, at Thanksgiving, it was delivered to my Dad who still lives in the old neighborhood less than a mile from it's original home. He paid $7000 for it and it's in excellent shape. The color was changed from the original Antique Bronze to Wimbledon White. New upholstery, carpet etc and other odds and ends but otherwise original body...even down to the hubcaps and gas cap.

The original six was replace with a 250 in-line from a Falcon (I think). Anyway he had to modify the air cleaner for it to fit under the hood. My question is there a low profile intake that will work for this setup?

Of course here is the obligatory celebratory picture.

31081_1131504944682_1739032194_264160_896462_n.jpg

When the weather gets better I'm going to take it out for some proper shots.

• Sponsors (?)

That has always been the only drawback to putting the taller 250 into the early Mustang. Since the intake is cast integral to the cylinder head, it is not replaceable. Most people dealed with it by modifying their aircleaner or going to a hood scoop.

I just checked the Ford I-6 Performance Hanbook and they got around the issue in a 1965 Falcon Ranchero by using the air cleaner and cold air duct from a 1983 Ford LTD.

another thing you can do for hod clearance is to drill the engine mount holes lower. you should be able to go an inch lower with the stock style mounts. the nice thing is that it wont hurt your driveline angles enough to worry about.

That has always been the only drawback to putting the taller 250 into the early Mustang. Since the intake is cast integral to the cylinder head, it is not replaceable. Most people dealed with it by modifying their aircleaner or going to a hood scoop.

I just checked the Ford I-6 Performance Hanbook and they got around the issue in a 1965 Falcon Ranchero by using the air cleaner and cold air duct from a 1983 Ford LTD.
Hmmm...Interesting. Now to find an 83 LTD lol.

My uncle did modify it a bit but it's sort of an ugly fix. I want to try and clean it up a bit.

rbohm...That is a little more trouble than I want to get into. We would probably cut a scoop in before we went that route but if the motor ever came out that would be the best idea.