'66 coupe - rarity

Bullitt

Packin' Heat
Founding Member
Jan 13, 2000
Houston, TX
i picked up a '66 coupe in "ok" shape (considering). anyways, all stock with 289 2-brl, C4, powersteering, 4 wheel drums. anyways, while putting the doors back on to put it on the trailer to take home, i noticed it had no heater box. popping the hood reveals no hole in the firewall either! so factory no heater car, kinda amazing!

anyways, car appears to be all original (well i assume mostly. it was driven until 10 yrs ago, but there are no resto-mod changes). i picked it up cheap enough that it was going to be a basis for an autocross car project, however in light of being a complete, soon to be running, kinda rare car, i was wondering what yall thought the value of it was?

solid body except under rear seat, trunk floors, needs a passenger door, and some other minor rust (holes in hood, little holes in the usual spots). rear tailight panel/valence is pretty smushed from the PO backing into something, but other than that all the glass is intact w/ no scratch, everything is stock under the hood, etc. needs interior of course, but everything is there. carpet was pulled up when i got it and the floors are solid...

anyways, guesses on value? to me it's just another standard coupe w/ a 289 2brl, but some of the people i've talked to are all in awe that it's got no heater, PS, etc...

• Sponsors (?)

Just another '66 coupe. Back then you could have the heater deleted and received a credit for it. An oddity, but not really worth anything extra and above any other plain Jane '66 V8 coupe.

66 Mustang

My first car was a 66 bought off the showroom floor. Radio, heater, white wall tires. $2450.00. Since you're in Texas I'd guess heaters aren't really necessary. I doubt it's rare. I could be mistaken.

exactly my thought "just another coupe". none of the options make it an entirely desirable car.

IF (and that's a big if), it'll be a full CP car. gutted, caged, fiberglass flares, front clip, etc. 3 link 9", etc.

plan is to get it to run n sell it though. kinda want a 3rd gen camaro for autocrossing (more competitive base).

still got the '67 for my mustang fix.

The heater delete was indeed a rare thing, but nothing that really adds to the value. The heater was available as a delete, for credit, but not much credit. I'm sure the dealers would try and steer away from offering it of recommending it as it would make for a less expensive car. But not a test car, take a look at the pricing for a '66 Mustang, you will find the heater delete in there, and the credit you could get for it. This was about the only standard item that was available for deletion to get credit, and I'm sure very few buyers ever knew about it.

Not only that, it was probably an unpopular option for those that did know about it. There are very few parts of the US that stay warm enough in the winter to not need a heater sometime. Maybe some areas in Florida and along the Gulf, but that is far from a majority.

It was an option delete for cars going to Hawaii, Florida and Texas have yet to see one in Arizona.
Standard on the 65 shelby R models. The heater delete parts are worth money to people making a "R" copy.