66 Dies When I Press The Gas

fox-gt

Feb 28, 2004
TN
This winter I did allot of upgrades on the 66 i6. Painted the block, new starter,starter cable, battery cables, plugs, plug wires, wiring harness, oil pressure sending unit, oil pan, pick up tube, oil pump, fuel pump and a rebuilt Autolite 1100 carb from ebay. It has a pertronix unit and a flame thrower coil. Also did a oil change and coolant flush. After all the upgrades I started it up, it ran great. (I did not test the pedal) The car sat in the garage all winter.

I neglected to drain the gas tank or add any fuel stabilizer. I went to start it up yesterday and it ran like crap. I checked the gas and it was dark, thicker than normal yellow which stained the floor.

I drained the tank, added fresh gas and Gumout Fuel treatment. It will start up fine (idle's a little rough), about 50% of the time when I go to press the gas it dies. If it catch it in time, I can let off, press on it and it revs fine. I managed to run it around the block at 35 to 50 mph, rough but ran. It died about 5 times. It starts up fine and runs ok until I press the gas.

I did a visual inspection for vacuum leaks, didn't see any. It is also an automatic.

Yesterday I changed the fuel filter and PCV valve.

Long story short (too late), any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)