'66 Drive Shaft

hivewax

Jan 1, 2006
Miami, FL
driving around 50 mph, my drive shaft broke off at the front u-joint. slip yoke looks good. found some damage - indentations in one of the bearing holes of the drive shaft. can this be fixed? if not, anyone have links to where i can buy one? i plan on changing the rear to 9" and changing the engine for HP gain.

• Sponsors (?)

Yellow pages for differential repair

might be a good start. It doesn't cost a lot to have one made. You can always mail order through a place like Inland Empire. I would think a good Mustang parts in your area can turn you on to a local builder. I know the Hot Rod guys can.

If it was me, I wouldn't try to fix what you have. Even if you put it on a lathe and check it for true, you still don't know if there are any stress fractures. www.moderndriveline.com sells them for about $290.00 for the T5 conversion. They might be able to do a stock driveshaft. I'd try local first, just to skip paying for shipping.
HTH,

66Runt said:
might be a good start. It doesn't cost a lot to have one made. You can always mail order through a place like Inland Empire. I would think a good Mustang parts in your area can turn you on to a local builder. I know the Hot Rod guys can.

If it was me, I wouldn't try to fix what you have. Even if you put it on a lathe and check it for true, you still don't know if there are any stress fractures. www.moderndriveline.com sells them for about $290.00 for the T5 conversion. They might be able to do a stock driveshaft. I'd try local first, just to skip paying for shipping.
HTH,

thanks for the help. i'll definitely look into replacing the drive shaft first. also, are you assuming that i should also check into replacing the gear differentials? i don't think there is any damage there. give me specifics. i'm clueless. i'm just thinking about the drive shaft to get the car to drive. i'm not changing to a 9" until i get money saved.