'66 Mustang 4 spd to T5, now want tremec

Hizzle

Jun 24, 2007
Fort Carson, CO
Hello. My brother ahs a '65 Mustang that originally had a 4 spd. He did a conversion to a T5 with some aftermarket crossmember and some other conversion pieces. He is hating the T5 right now since he put the 347 stroker in. It just isn't holding up. He wants to put in a Tremec 5speed. Would one fit in there with the T5 conversion he did or does he need to find a whole conversion setup for a '66 if there is one? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The Tremec has a different bolt pattern for the bellhousing. He'll need the old Toploader bell (or did it have a Borg-Warner T10?) and a 1" spacer between it and the Tremec. Or if buying a new Tremec, see if they offer them with the shorter 4 speed input shaft length and use the old bell as is. If it had a Toploader 4 speed, he should have kept it. These are damn near bullet proof and will handle any 347. (and bigger engines as well)

First of all the Tremec will not fit a 65-66 without extensive tunnel work. If you do put one in without raising the tunnel the drive line angle will be so hosed up it will shake like a wash machine at high speed. Contact Modern Driveline for a T5 custom built to handle the HP of the 347. The T5 can be beefed up to handle 500hp for about the same cost as a Tremec. I just finished this swap myself and I can tell you that this is the way to go for a 65-66

First of all the Tremec will not fit a 65-66 without extensive tunnel work. If you do put one in without raising the tunnel the drive line angle will be so hosed up it will shake like a wash machine at high speed. Contact Modern Driveline for a T5 custom built to handle the HP of the 347. The T5 can be beefed up to handle 500hp for about the same cost as a Tremec. I just finished this swap myself and I can tell you that this is the way to go for a 65-66

There are a few companies that offer high performance T5 based trannys. Modern driveline, G-Force... Areo or something like that. A few others. Since you already have the T5 in there, I agree that this is provably the best route to take.

First of all the Tremec will not fit a 65-66 without extensive tunnel work. If you do put one in without raising the tunnel the drive line angle will be so hosed up it will shake like a wash machine at high speed
Funny,
Last time I came through the traps at Firebird Raceway at 110 MPH, my TKO wasn't shaking too much. Guess my last 10 years with a TKO has been all luck...