'66: Speedometer not accurate...

• Sponsors (?)

Modification effect speedo

Any changes from stock WILL effect the accuracy of the speedo. (Actually, they weren't terribly accurate in the beginning.) Changes in tire diameter, differential gearing, transmission drive and driven gears, etc. will definitely throw the speedo off.

You can experient with different driven gears as a curative but a shop specializing in speedos is a better source of a solution. The driven gear is available in different tooth configurations and are useful in achueving the desired correction (either to indicate greater speed or less).

You discription does NOT indicate the spwecific problem hence it is impossible to ACCURATELY say which would achieve what you want to do.

Same problem here

I have the same problem here so I'll listen in. Just bught a restored 66 and it's way to easy to see the needle at 100+.

66 FB
16" wheels
T5
3.55 gears

Where would I get this speedo gear? Is it any easy install?

oops, oh yea, the installl is a breeze. Remove the speedo cable from the transmission(drivers side of tranny, one bolt)) Remove the small C clip from the speedo gear and slip it off the end of the cable. Put the new gear on and re-install the C clip. Plug the speedo cable back where you got it and you're good to go.
Dave :nice: