'66 w/bullitts+spacers+global west arms= no no

Nosboss

Dec 17, 2007
So I have a '66 coupe with global west upper control arms. I also have '02 bullitt wheels and 1.25 spacers. I put the spacers and the wheels on the front. All looks good untill I go to turn the wheels. They get about 75% of the turn in either direction and they hit the leading and trailing edge of the a-arms. Ok... so I pull the wheel and add a 3/16" spacer on top of the 1.25 spacer and they clear the front part of the a-arm but still hit the back close to full turn. Thats almost 1.5 inches of spacer!!! :nono:I know there are many of you guys running these wheels with stock control arms.... whats up with the global west units? Anyone else out there run into this problem? Can anyone provide me with pictures of the clrearance they have with bullitt wheels installed??? Help?

Here are some pics of the hit with 1.25+3/16" spacers

Mustangproject026.jpg

Mustangproject027.jpg

Mustangproject028.jpg

Attachments

• Mustangproject026.jpg
    Mustangproject026.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Mustangproject027.jpg
    Mustangproject027.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Mustangproject028.jpg
    Mustangproject028.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Sponsors (?)

Do you have the turn stops installed? (aka what struts are on the car)

Yeah, they are installed. The one on the RH lower control arm is just loose. That would make sense that it rubs when turning right only. Good thinking dodgestang. I am going to pull the springs so I can compress the suspension and make sure I get no rubbing in all situations. I don't want to cut anything off of the UCA's. I will modify the steer stops so I get a smaller turning radius before I cut/grind on the UCA's.

I believe I found a solution... I had to limit the steering stops so it doesn't turn as much. It didn't take a lot to clear the uca's. The wheel hit only in the most extreem of turns. I took the steer stops off and modified them to be adjustable. I cut some of the stop off and welded a nut to it. I then screwed a bolt with a jam nut into it. This is now adjustable. Instead of the spindle hitting the stop itself it hits the bolt. My question now, is how much clearance do I need from the uca's? 1/8", 1/4", 3/16'? I'm sure the wheel flexes some when driving "sprited".