:(

• Sponsors (?)

PJB said:
Seriously.
I dont see where its worth $3k. Its basically just a gutted POS.

That's because you have no clue about dirt/asphalt oval track racing. There are more to race cars than just looking pretty. Sometimes going fast and winning is more important. It has some Esslinger 4 cylinder parts in it and the motor is pretty stout, but I didn't figure you guys would know that, being is it just a "4 cylinder"! Esslinger is probably the best company to go to that specializes in 4 cylinder 2.0 and 2.3's and has one hell of a reputation for it. That car probably weighs about 1800lbs and that motor probably makes 230 hp. I will let you do the math on that one, but it is a real dirt track race car.

Tim

Ignorance is bliss...

If it does what it does well, its worth that to someone who knows! I dont consider it a waste, if the guy who owns it races and enjoys it. I consider those cars that go in garages with 10 miles on them wasted!

I had a coworker who bought an '84 GT from the original owner. The day he got it he stripped the entire car, body panels and all. Put a cage and some sheetmetal panels on the chassis. The original owner was pissed. I'd call that a waste.

DMAN302 said:
looks like my old 89 5.0 hatch when I was done with it back in 93...that car was also ENJOYED every second.

Absolutely. If you're gonna race, why not have the best? There are plenty of ragged out Fox's that nobody is going to give the time of day sitting in junkyards waiting to get crushed. If i were going to build a dirt track car like that i'd do the same. I'm sure that car wasn't mint when he built it for that.

Penguin said:
I had a coworker who bought an '84 GT from the original owner. The day he got it he stripped the entire car, body panels and all. Put a cage and some sheetmetal panels on the chassis. The original owner was pissed. I'd call that a waste.
Your co-worker should have been more descriminate about who he sold his car too, then. Buying a car makes it your to do with as you please.
Odds are, that car was a POS before this guys bought it. Nobody in their right mind is gonna buy a mint car and gut it for racing, Cause paying for a clean car verses a roller with rusted out panels that are gonna get replaced with lighter versions any way doesn't make any sense.
Or maybe, as is the case with most amature "track only" cars you see on Fri and Sat's, It started as some guys daily driver, he took a hot lap in his buddy's circle track car, got the bug and went the cheap route turning the car he already had into a race car and ending up with what we see now. Either way, A Mustang is for the owners enjoyment,just like any other car. So, when I saw a 1966 Mustang at the 35th Anniversary show here in Charlotte, with 6k miles on it, and 40 of those where from getting it on and off the trailor(it still had the original tires on it with almost all of their tread), I call that a waste. But I'm not a collector, Im a driver.

aaron11272 said:
I consider this the ultimate form of preservation. Guess everyone has their own opinions on how to take care of cars...

Preservation or not you cannot enjoy looking at a car as much as driving it. Its cool to see but if Im buying a car, you better believe Im going to use and possibly abuse it!

aaron11272 said:
I consider this the ultimate form of preservation. Guess everyone has their own opinions on how to take care of cars...

We also cage up animals to preserve them....although, if you take a lion out of the wild and put him in a cage, you strip the lion of his existance...his one purpose in life is to be part of nature, just as Mustangs are here to get their wheels driven off, not parked and left to rot.

Besides, that's what restoration is for, right?