horseballz

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
  1. I will soon be in possession of a bone stock, 67 C-code Coupe:
    A-289/C4, runs/drives great
    B-Factory power disc brakes
    C-Power Steering, works well, no leaks
    D-All original white paint, absolutely no rust anywhere, except surface rust on roof from vinyl top removal, sanded and left that way
    E-One owner, life long Bullhead City (DRY), AZ car
    F-Very nice original interior except butt upholstery on driver seat and needs a dash pad
    G63K original miles

The paint is only a tiny bit tired with only a few parking lot dings and a dimple in the rear quarter and I would like to keep it that way for sales presentation. Paint can only be original once and it hides no sins! This car is close to being a true survivor! Car was last licensed in 1996, but was regularly started, moved/driven around a bit until 3 years ago.
    My plan:
    1-Remove windshield and rear glass, needs new rubber anyway
    2-Remove surface rust on roof to clean metal
    3-Epoxy prime roof to the masking seam that will be placed at the trim piece between the old vinyl top and quarter
    4-Coat roof with sandable primer and block sand
    5-Paint roof to as close as I can match the original white, sales presentation will disclose/admit "new paint"on roof and why
    6-Replace vinyl top "separator" trim piece to "visually" separate fresh paint from old and avoid welding/filling the holes and requiring a complete re-paint
    7-Restore/color sand/polish/buff old paint as nicely as possible
    8-Refurb interior as needed to be near perfect
    9-Bumper to bumper mechanical inspection/evaluation/replacement of belts, hoses, brakes, suspension, steering, etc to make it a truly sturdy driver.
    10-New gas tank and maybe steel line/fuel pump. Car was running off of a hose into a gas can when I viewed/bought it. Tank trashed!
    11-Tires/wheels????
    12-Clean, Clean, Clean, rinse and repeat as needed.

Questions:
    A-What single stage paint is currently available that is fairly easy to shoot (for a novice) and at least closely mimics the 67 OEM paint?
    B-Best way to partially "restore" the original paint, remove the chalky oxidation, etc?
    C-What do you all think of my plan for the roof?

By the way, all chrome and trim is in/with the car and in good condition, including the 4 OEM full wheel covers.​
    IMG_1870.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    IMG_1872.jpg
    IMG_1873.jpg
    IMG_1874.jpg
    IMG_1875.jpg
    Thanks,​
    Gene​

• Sponsors (?)

the lower right rear quarter needs a little sumpn sumpn possibly the rear valance ,the small dent on drivers side may push out from inside .your right the roof needs attention ,primer paint or primer new top? i have rubbed out old paint with just finessit compound by hand ,you could try a buffer but it may buff through ,little chrome polish on the stainless and chrome ,maby pull the air cleaner and valve covers and repaint ,presure wash engine compartment under side ,spray can touch up
little tire cleaner on hoses to brighten up or just replace them, as for paint if dupont centari is available in nevada still it is very easy to spray and match colors and touches up well. looks like a decent car

Yeah, I got no problem re-spraying the front and rear valances (repairing the rear one) but I'm afraid that if I try to address the little crunch in the lower right rear quarter, it will likely require painting at least the whole quarter, defeating the sales pitch of "original paint"! I think it may sell quicker being able to say "What you see is what you get with no hidden issues!" You know the question: "So how much rust is hidden under that fresh paint?"
Gene

I used PPG Delstar on my 87 camaro, it's a premium acrylic enamel paint, I had that car for 10 years after I painted it and it still shined as good as new...Nice car you found there...I might would go back with a vinyl top. I had some rocker moldings somewhere that came off my car...I think they got hauled off by my anal retentive uncle, but if I come accross them and you want them, they are yours.....original pieces, with a little ding here and there...

rob,
Thanx for the offer, but as previously stated, all missing chrome and trim is in/with the car and in good shape. The original owner started to strip/prep for paint before passing away, sadly, at his own hand, on the one year anniversary of his wife's cancer death.:( I've not picked the car up yet from 100+ miles away, waiting on title. I can't tell what I paid, as you will all accuse me of grave robbing!
Thanks and :nice: on your sale,
Gene

I see what you are wanting to to with the top...and I think that will look good...but I also think a fresh black vinyl top would look good...but I guess the buyer could do that if he/she wanted to. Also just wanted to add, that I wasn't car-less for long...I came accross a steal and I am back in a chevy...but probably not for long, I see an opportunity here to make a little money, I got a 1991 zr1 vette with the lingefelter 530 horse LT5 engine (Yes 530, not 350)...there was only 2000 zr1's made and less than 100 of them went to lingefelter...