'67 GTA Question

I have an opportunity to buy a '67 GTA w/390 4V that is probably a 5 on a restoration scale of 1-10 (1 = done, 10=basket case). Anyhow, I was wondering if there is anything special about a '67 GTA and whether it's worth going after to maybe make a couple bucks on vs a normal '65-'68 coupe. I'm new to Mustangs so I'm looking for the wisdom of those in the know.

• Sponsors (?)

Due to the fact it is an FE engine, that will make it worth a little more. GTA is nothing more than a GT package with an Auto. Be careful to make sure it is a true GTA.

As far as going after it, depends on the price and condition. I am guessing it is a couple. If so, does not carry the same value as a fastback, but still will do better then an A or C code. Does the seller have a Marti Report on it?

A Marti Report is basically a report that is based off the Vin Number of your car from the original Ford build database. It will tell you in detail what options your car had when it rolled off the assembly line, color, engine, option packages rear-end everything. It will also tell the scheduled build date the actual build date, and where it was delivered to.

FE is an early big block engine.

A65forDads60th said:
It is a coupe, and from what I remember it is legit. He did say something about a Marti report, but I don't think he had it run.

BTW, what is a Marti report and how do you get one?

Also, what is "FE"?

You can get a Marti Report from www.martiauto.com. As mentioned, they will tell you everything that came on your car from the factory by your Vin #. It takes several weeks to get, but if you want to make sure before purchasing, they can put a rush on it and fax you in a couple of days.

Since '67 is the first year you can get a report, there are not as many clones as previous years where it is harder to tell real or clone, but it is not like it would be out of the realm to find a clone.

As mentioned previously, S code cars will bring better money than a C or A code if done right.

Since nobody else answered the "second question"....

... I'll jump in!

An FE motor is the original Big Block Ford :nice:

The motor first came out sometime around 1960 in its 332 cid incarnation. Then to 352, 390, Lincoln's 406 and (of course) the legendary 427 :hail2: Also along the way came the little-known Merc 410, the Ford truck 360, and (of course again) the 428.

The 390 in the GTA you're looking at was used in 'Stangs, larger sedans, and pickups. In it's normal stock form, it wasn't exactly a killer motor; but they can be built pretty heavily - there was a '68 T-Bird with a factory 345-horse (California dressing) 390 that was pretty doggone quick especially when you considered that it was hauling around that bloated 'Bird. Well-built 390's were famous for their torque, rather than their HP ratings.

I once had a '72 F100 for which I built up a Linc 406. It was a torque-monster that could haul just about anything that I hung on the trailer hitch. When it was empty.... :eek: :drool: :nice: Passed everything except a gas station.

And that's the "short form" of the FE story.