'67 Reassembly Questions

rob289c

Oct 18, 2005
I'm making good progress but after being apart for 12 years I have some questions:

How far down from the top of the fender apron should the starter relay be? The replacement panel I welded in didn't have the holes pre-drilled.

What is the sqare, 4-wire plug coming out of the top of the firewall for? It is right next to the gage feed harness. I can't remember what was there and haven't been able to identify anything in my boxes of parts that would go there.

The original 289 block had 7/16" motor mount tappings. The mid 70's block I'm using now has 3/8" tappings. Can I use my old 289 motor mounts or do I have to go to a mid-70's motor mount?

I left the alternator harness attached to the alternator. I can figure out where the plug end goes into the main harness...where do the rest of them go?

I'm getting close to assembling the engine. My goal is to have it assembled, in the car, initial break in done in the next 3-4 weeks. I can then finish the rest over the winter and be ready for spring!

Rob

• Sponsors (?)

My starter relay is mounted just about an inch below the crease- just low enough for the hood to clear.

The four-wire plug coming out of the firewall goes up to your windshield wiper motor.

How many wires do you have left on the alternator? The heavy-gauge one goes to the main feed in the car's harness, and I think the rest are in the plug that goes to the voltage regulator.

Not sure about the motor mounts.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Windshield wiper motor...I don't have any other harnesses that fit that plug. I'll have to look again in my parts boxes...maybe I overlooked it.

The alternator has the three-wire plug that I think plugs into the main harness and two wires bugged into a common good-sized round terminal end. I'm guessing it goes on the battery side of the starter relay?

I cleaned off my work bench today in preparation of engine building...

Rob

The 4-pin sounds like the trans neutral safety switch / reverse lights plug.

Not sure about the alternator as it's been a while, but take a look around here:
http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~djhamma/wiring/wiring1967.htm

I'd say that is correct. Neutral safety/reverse lights.

As far as the motor mounts, if the holes on the stock mounts are too small you can provably just hog them out a bit so the larger bolt fits through the hole but I think it should fit just fine as is.

The TCP motor mounts are REALLY nice. I have installed them twice now and they are SO much easier to install then the stock ones that its worth the price tag IMO.

Neutral Safety/Reverse...I think you're right. I looked through my boxes of parts and didn't find any more harnesses. My tranny is at the neighbor's that's going to rebuild it so I don't have it to look at. I do remember wires hanging off it so that's probably it.

As for the motor mounts, the holes in the mounts and original bolts that screw into the block are larger than the tappings in the "new" block. I'll have to use the smaller diameter bolts; my concern is whether or not the engine will move due to the larger holes in the mounts. Maybe I can get a bushing that will take up the slack.

Ron 67FB, thanks for the wiring site. This will come in handy. I called my neighbor to remind him that I need my tranny back soon. He's only had it and the rebuild kit for a year and a half!