67 Upper Console Restoration Question

Bullitt

Packin' Heat
Founding Member
Jan 13, 2000
Houston, TX
So I've spent the last few days taking my time and doing a careful restoration of my upper console...

I reassembled it tonight and everything was smooth except for the new map light switches. There's daylight where I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be any!!

Upper%20Console%20007.JPG

Upper%20Console%20005.JPG

Previously there was a fabbed up switch panel installed where the factory map lights were and it had been "glued" in with the black tar-like weatherstrip sealer.

Has anyone else run across the gab like this? What did you do to fix it? I'm looking for a better option than putting some of the sealer back there...

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

you won't see any daylight once the console is back on the roof. you might try pushing down on the console where the gap is and see if you can get the metal backing of the console to bend a little bit and close up the gap. i don't remember my console having that gap but i also have the original switch bezel for now too, it will eventually get replaced with a repro one because the chrome is all peeling off but for now it will have to do

I've got the original socket (missing the buttons) that I compared the repo too, looks like it's about the same size. It's black instead of chrome which I found kind of odd.

bnickel, I'll give that a shot. Probably going to try some black double-sided tape to maybe take up some of the gap with something that won't show.