'68 302 w/ 24" radiator fan shroud question

Hi all, I'm a clueless newbie. I have recently repurchased the '68 GT fastback I drove as a kid that has been thoroughly trashed by the interim owners. As such, I expect I will be a frequent poster begging for help. :)

It currently runs like crap, and one of the first things I'd like to get done is slap a fan shroud on it so my clumsy butt doesn't get maimed or killed quite as easily while working on it. :)

Relevant pictures:

http://www.my68gt.com/gallery/fanshroud

It's a 302, but has a 24" radiator and what appears to be an aftermarket 7 blade flex fan. I purchased a 390/428 24" radiator shroud from NPD thinking that would be the right fit before realizing Mustangs Unlimited had a 24" shroud for a 302. The shroud I have is about 1.75" thick, MU says theirs is 2.25" thick. Either one doesn't seem thick enough to cover any of the fan. Do I need a MUCH longer spacer, or is something else seriously out of whack here? Spacer looks like it's about 1.5", largest I see on MU is 2".

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sure I have seen longer spacers but keep in mind that you only want one half of the blade in the shroud for the best cooling. You might have to try a combo of longer spacer and thicker shroud.

It just occurred to me that the seven blade fans were for clutch fans. I guess somebody removed yours to make your fan that far off. There is also a 24" shroud for 69-70 302 that may be thicker.

I think you are mixing parts between an AC equiped car and a non-AC equipped car. Non-AC cars did not come with a fan shroud so the distance of the fan to the radiator would not be that close. If you are adding a fan shroud I would use the clutch fan set-up which should place the fan closer to the radiator.