'68 blinker hood and stripes... looks?

68converted

Nov 19, 2003
Colorado
I was thinking about using the 67 Shelby short hood, but now I have another family member (mother this time) with cancer and funds have to be diverted to that mess. Not complaining, family comes first. Anyway, I have the blinker hood and wondered if anyone has this hood with stripes. The hoods on the new Stangs have a similar hood though the openings face the front, and I am not sure if I like the way the stripes look. Does anyone have any suggestions, and or pictures that would help me decide what to do? Thanks for the input.

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry to hear about your mother first of all; I have watched an uncle and a live-in girlfriend die of cancer...hopefully hers was caught soon enough to avoid that. You have a hard road ahead.
I don't have pics but think the stripes would be killer. I'm thinking of doing that on my 67 with stock turn-signal hood.

That might be cool. I was thinking about that piece and then the stripes re-appearing on the Cobra R-model front end. And, of course on the rear deck lid. I will try to find a picture with the 68 option. Thanks.

Thanks for the thoughts on mom, she is doing very good. They caught it early. I think the fear of what happened to dad is just too fresh in her mind.

I painted stripes on the hood of my 67 with gloss black at a time that it was VERY bad to do things like that. oh well, I was never given a ticket by the concoure police. For daily drivers and such I would suggest gloss. Flat back is SOOOO hard to keep clean and to wax around.

(sorry, no good pics of mine)

66756.1968.Ford.Mustang.2-Door.Hardtop.jpg

68mustang.jpg

1968_Mustang_07_t.jpg

ford-68-mustang-001a.jpg

Attachments

• 66756.1968.Ford.Mustang.2-Door.Hardtop.jpg
    66756.1968.Ford.Mustang.2-Door.Hardtop.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 97
Anyway, I have the blinker hood and wondered if anyone has this hood with stripes.

I'm wondering that myself since I also have a '68 with the blinker hood. I'll probably go with a smooth steel or 'glass hood, but I might change my mind if things look good.

Flat back is SOOOO hard to keep clean and to wax around.

I began thinking about that when I decided on Trans-Am style paint with the no-glare hood. I started thinking that for a street car, gloss black will just have to do.

The problem with the turn-signal hoods and stripes is that the 10-inch (Shelby) stripes with a 2-inch gap between them overlaps weird on them. I have seen those that line up with the slots/scoops extended the full length of the car but the large gap looked wrong.

I say either use the factory style stripes pictured above or don't do it at all.

For kicks I used up some left over rattle cans and laid out the stripes over the top of the blinkers using the width of the blinker slots for the stripes. Yeah it looks like crap. I may just suck it up and get the 67 shelby hood. It would make me happy and that is what the project is all about.