68 Coupe Front Suspension & Brake

Becker

Nov 3, 2015
finally starting a resto mod of my 1968 coupe. Just purchased 1989 GT as donor for engine transmission and rear end. Research online says this is all possible. Trying to figure out if I can use front disc brakes too. Can't seem to find answer in other places. Anyone have eerie de with it.

• Sponsors (?)

you cannot use the 89 mustang brakes on the early car, unless you have an adapter for the calipers, and no one4 makes such a thing.

engine can be used with a little modification, such as changing the timing cover and oil pan for earlier units.

the transmission can be used since it already bolts to the later engine, but you will likely need a different cross member for the trans mount.

the rear end can be used, IF you eliminate the suspension mounting points and convert to a leaf spring mount.

You can find a front brake conversion here: www.discbrakeswap.com
Sounds like a lot of people have used their brake kits with success and will probably be what we go with for our 67. We will also more than likely be going with an 8.8, but from my research I think we will be using an 8.8 from an Explorer which, depending on the vintage, should already have disc brakes and a decent performance ratio as well as limited slip. But, as already mentioned and I'm sure you realize, 8.8's require modification in order to work.

Last edited:
No problem about the website!
Yeah, 74-93 were 4 bolt. But, if this helps, I transplanted a 5.0/AOD/8.8 combo into our old 84 convertible from a Lincoln Mark VII. The 8.8 was a direct bolt in, but the axles were a little too long because of the disc brake setup in the Lincoln. I swapped them out with the axles from the 84's 7.5 and installed the original drum brakes from the Mustang. I have also read that the Explorer 8.8's are something like an inch or so wider than 67-68 rears, but can be swapped in without a lot of problem. So, maybe the Lincoln rear could be swapped into the 67-68 as well? Like I said, I don't know the overall measurement from the wheel mounting surfaces from the Lincoln, but if they match the Explorer one would have to do roughly the same amount of work to make it fit. Of course, the Explorer rear would give you the 5 bolt pattern for wheel selection, but the Lincoln rear would require a little more homework to make sure it would work out alright. Just some food for thought.....

If you really want to use the Fox body front brakes,struts, and spindles, I think Fatman Fabrications makes a kit to adapt it. The cost of buying the kit and installing it is much higher than buying new parts that fit though if I remember correctly. I'm interested to see which rear end you go with.

You can find a front brake conversion here: www.discbrakeswap.com

what is the quality level of these kits vs the other name brand suppliers? i was about to order a Wilwood set but see that the prices at the site above are just as good and the kit is a little more complete.

does anyone know if there is any difference between the disc or drum spindles? does it make much of a difference if you're just trying to improve braking for a daily driver?

67-68 spindles, to the best of my knowledge, are all the same. And I can't speak from experience about this particular brake kit, but from what I've read in different forums, they were the best deal that people have used. They are supposed to basically be a stock setup from the era. Wilwood *may* be a better performing kit, but again, I have no experience to say. From what I understand, you can pick up any parts you need from any auto parts store for maintenance, i.e. pads, rotors, etc, concerning the discbrakeswap.com setup without too much hassle. You just ask for parts for your car instead of trying to remember what a certain part comes from. For example, you need brake pads and rotors for a 67 Mustang vs needing pads from a 73 Impala and rotors from an 80's Astro van. I think that is one of the biggest appeals to that kit....

Making progress on the project. Sold both rear ends I have and in process of getting 8.8 w/ 3.73 gears & disc brakes from late 90's mustang converted to leaf springs. Body guy has convinced me to stick with 16" rims for now any way. Going with front disc brake conversion from Master Power Brakes http://www.mpbrakes.com/1968-ford-mustang-front-disc-brake-conversion-kit-legend-series?filter_name=. Looking for 16" bullitt rims now in gun metal. Anyone have advice on off-set rim dimensions? Rear end is same dimensions as 68 so assuming late 90's should fit. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Attachments

• 20160428_080821-2.jpg
    20160428_080821-2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 128
Img_0165-M.jpg I just did the Wilwood 4 piston set on my 1968 Shelby GT350. It had a single piston Kelsey Hayes disc on it from Shelby American. Even though Wilwood and CJPony told me that the Wilwood was a bolt on, it was not. All those kits apparently are designed for drum brake cars. What is the difference? The holes that the Disc brake Caliper bolts into on the spindle are much smaller. In fact I was a bit shocked to realize how small they were. The Wilwood came with 3/8 inch bolts. We drilled out the wheel spindles and tapped new threads for the 3/8. Then it was a bolt on deal. The other good news was this Wilwood classic disc brake set up was actually more compact than the existing Kelsey Hayes, so they fit my 15" 10 spoke Shelby rims better with more clearance. By the way the Wilwood kit was a bit cheaper at CJPony than directly from Wilwood. Go figure that. And cheaper than the Kelsey Hayes knock offs. The shop I had do the brake work had a drum brake 66 Fastback at their shop before I brought my car in. That owner got a kit from SSBC. That Mustang was still setting there when I pulled my Mustang out of their shop. The kit was also not a bolt on deal and needed to be modified to fit the car. The only good thing was he had drum spindles that didn't need drilled out. It was other parts of the kit that were a problem. I'd recommend the Wilwood's. Except for the spindles needed to be drilled this was a bolt on deal. Everything was there and fit as advertised. And I love the brakes I have on this car now. Does it make a difference? You bet. Be forced to do a panic stop and think about what the brakes are worth. We all want our Mustangs to go. But we also need them to stop.

Last edited: