'68 coupe power steering removal

scrutmonkey

Jan 17, 2003
San Jose, CA
This is a question for all manual conversion mustang drivers. I have a 1968 coupe with the power assisted steering system. I want to remove the power and make my car steer manually. What is the easist and most efficient way to do so, what components do I need to remove, and what things I need to buy? Thanks in advance.

Also, I switched out for a Flaming River 16:1 ratio (If i remeber right) steering box about 2 tears ago. As far as I know, I shoud remove the pump, hoses, and proportioning vlave and replace it with a centerlink then re-align the front end. Is this correct and is this what I am looking for?
View attachment 510109
LINK

I ran a search but everything was for 65-66 stangs, thanks in advance, you guys never let me down in my quest for Mustang God info.

scrutmonkey

• Sponsors (?)

thanx for the response megan. BTW, do you have an online source of where i might be able to find a pitman arm for a manual steering 1968 coupe? i found this centerlinkand idler arms.

thanks again.

edit; Sorry, just found it. How hard was it for you to remobve the pitman and idler arms during the install? just assuming you did it yourself as I'm probably gonna do.

You can buy a adapter which goes on your power center link in place of the power cylinder and such with the same pinion arm, etc. I ran one on my 67 power steering mustang until I converted to FR rack-n-pinion. Steering effort was easy and nimble and it is a pretty simple installation. They can be sourced from Mustangs Plus for sure as well as most of the other classic mustang dealers. At Mustangs Plus it costs about $130 (P/N 00649). Bolt it on and go. Nuch cheaper than a new pitman arm and center link with no alignment issues. Just my two cents though.

Attachments

• 00649sm.jpg
    00649sm.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 243
raeandy said:
You can buy a adapter which goes on your power center link in place of the power cylinder and such with the same pinion arm, etc. I ran one on my 67 power steering mustang until I converted to FR rack-n-pinion. Steering effort was easy and nimble and it is a pretty simple installation. They can be sourced from Mustangs Plus for sure as well as most of the other classic mustang dealers. At Mustangs Plus it costs about $130 (P/N 00649). Bolt it on and go. Nuch cheaper than a new pitman arm and center link with no alignment issues. Just my two cents though.
This is the easiest, but I don't feel this is the correct way to convert to a manual linkage setup.

The best way is to get the centerlink, idler arm, and pitman arm. Removing the pitman arm is easy. I've heard of some being 1 1/8", but mine was 1 5/16", remove the nut and use a pitman arm puller, which you can rent at autozone. It's tapered and splined so it can be installed in four different directions, but there's only one correct direction. I believe it's torqued to 140-150 ft/lbs.