68 Mustang Ac Bracket P/s Pump Bolt

Stangalang15

May 4, 2015
Hey guys! What's up? New to the forums, hoping to get a little help from the experts ;) ok brown nosing aside, how's your day going?

I have a 68 Mustang, had a 289 with AC and P/S and now it's got a 5.0 from a 91 Mustang in it. It's been converted to carb, I'm using the v belt set up from my 289 and everything was going well until I started putting in the accessories.

On my 289, the passenger and driver side have two different sizes on the thermactor plug inserts, the bolt that holds the alternator on the passenger's side is bigger than the bolt that holds the AC bracket on the driver's side. So there's 2 different type of thermactor plugs (inserts)? I bought a couple of inserts (5/8" - 11 thermactor plugs) and the thread inside the plug, for the accessories, is still too big for the AC bracket bolt as it is on the 5.0 I'm using from a 91 Mustang. I really dont want to drill out my original AC and power steering pump brackets as someone recommended on another forum. I'm trying to find out if I can purchase the correct thermactor plug for the front driver side of the head to fit the AC bracket bolt from a 68 Mustang. I don't even know the size of the AC bracket bolt, Google isn't helping much (I might not be searching with the correct term). Anyway, I do thank you in advance for your reply.

PS: I was trying to take out the plug from the 289 head to switch it over to the 5.0, but that doesn't look like it's going to work

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the bolt is 7/16 for a 289 although it may be 3/8 ,not sure what the 5.0 is . A 289 shouldnt have a plug in it ,it is drilled for the bolt . the easiest fix would be to drill the bracket for the bolt that you need .
I have drilled the AC bracket before