68 Stang - Help With Faulty Door Lock

phendyr

Aug 15, 2010
Hey all,
Recently I discovered that my drivers door lock is acting up. When I locked the door then shut it, it would push the tab up, and not lock.... so in my wisdom, I shut the door and then locked it.. well it worked, lol....and I couldn't get the door unlocked.

I managed to get the armrest, door pull, and window crank and door panel off, and was able to find the trip lever at the bottom to release the lock.

Now, the outer door lever will work fine as long as the door isn't locked. if I trip the 'teeth' on the latch, the thumb button doesn't do a thing, and I have to reach in and trip the lever.

Knowing now how difficult it is to look inside the door, does anybody have any thoughts as to what I need to replace, and how to go about that exactly? I don't know if it's the latch, a spring, the rods, the outer door handle, etc....

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

first make sure all the rods are in place and none of the retaining clipe are broke
but it sounds like the spring that works the lock in the latch may be broke,it keeps the
lock locked and un locked, i would check the clips to see if the plastic ends are still
there if not there may be just a lot of slop in the rods, does the chrome lock pull
stay up by its selfe?

the lock pull does stay up by itself, if I push it up and down, there's two rods inside that move in sync with it. I have to try and get in there more and look for the clips and such yet. Thanks for the feedback!