69 coupe quarter grille

RogerC62

Founding Member
Feb 2, 2000
Dayton, Ohio
Here's what I'm going to do in place of the lower quarter grilles. I thought about the shelby scoops but wanted something different so I came up with an Idea to make them into a functional air extractor vent to take advantage of the high flowing kick panel vents. I used the actual piece to layout the cut out and bend lines. It took about an hour of hammer-and-dolly work to match the contour of the original piece. The next step is to make a pattern for the interior of the air extractor vent.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rjcassel/detail?.dir=54aascd&.dnm=796fre2.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rjcassel/detail?.dir=54aascd&.dnm=11ddre2.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rjcassel/detail?.dir=54aascd&.dnm=e1c3re2.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rjcassel/detail?.dir=54aascd&.dnm=e170re2.jpg&.src=ph

• Sponsors (?)

I basically flared the opening to match the contour of the pot metal piece. The interior of the vent will consist of a panel extending forward from the straight but slightly curved rear edge of the opening at a slight angle towards the center of the car. Aditional sheetmetal will wrap around the opening to give the panel some stiffness and form the end of the air duct. Air will be ducted from the base of the rear window to the panel opening. I will make 2 splitters inside the vent to resemble the 2 wider bars of the chrome trim on the factory piece. Does that help give you a better idea where I'm going with this? What do you all think?

I am still confused as to where you are directing the air from the "functional vents". Are you using it to cool your rear brakes? Try posting the pictures again so we can get a better idea, this is interesting. I have thought about doing this to cool the rear brakes on my 65 but I really have no room to run the ducts so probably not. I still would like to see what you are doing though.

I am still confused as to where you are directing the air from the "functional vents". Are you using it to cool your rear brakes?

As you know the original pieces are simulated rear facing scoops. I wanted a functional way to exhaust interior air similar to the upper air extractors on the 65 - 68 fastbacks. I noticed a long time ago that when I had the kick panel vents open and the windows down the air flowed great. With the windows up, the air didn't flow as well. So I came up with a way to make a functional air exhaust and have somewhat of the look of the original quarter trim pieces. They exhaust air towards the rear in front of the rear tires.

Original Quarter trim:

Attachments

• P0003891.JPG
    P0003891.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 84
We must be thinking of something different because every quarter scoop I have seen is forward facing and will drive air into your car, not exhaust the interior air. I would still like to see pictures.

not a bad idea really, but you will need to be able to keep water from getting in so they will need to have some sort of seal on them. also, you'll have to modify the interior 1/4 trim panels to allow the air into the interior or add some 70 door jamb vents.

do you plan on also blocking the pass through into the trunk? i'd think you'd end up pressurizing the trunk compartment at speed if not.

I see the pics in the original post, but I'm still not sure what air you're trying to move, or remove. When I was younger, I always thought everyone put those scoops on upside down and backwards, but I have yet to see anyone that just eliminated them completely. I'd also like to see a coupe with the Mach I scoops in the upper quarters, maybe there's a Mexican Mach I?

bnickel makes a good point, I ripped open my rear wheel well when a tire tread seperated halfway around and the trunk pressurized and ripped open all the seams on my headliner and 20 years worth of dust filled the cabin at 60 mph on a narrow 2 lane road out in the sticks at night with no moon.

The plan is to run a sealed duct to each side from the base of the rear window or package tray if I keep it. The trunk will be sealed off. The ducts and exhaust vents will be sealed off to the quarter also so air will not get inside the body. I'll be making an inner piece from sheetmetal (like a thin air box) and weld it to the edges of the pictured opening I cut out.

I see the pics in the original post, but I'm still not sure what air you're trying to move, or remove.

They will work in conjunction with the kick panel vents to move air through the interior. I always noticed more air comes out of the vents with the windows down and wanted a way to get the same volume with the windows up. I figure as long as the air has somewhere to flow to it should work ok. The flaring of the opening may even create a low pressure area to help suck the air out.