69 coupe resto/build-up

Anyone here interested in a build thread? Or should I just put it in the classic section? My Dad, Brother and I will be doing all the work but the block machining and maybe body work/paint.

It's my Dad's car he paid 2300 for it 5 years ago. Since then my brother has trashed a 3 speed, 4 speed, drive-shaft and 7.5 rear. Original 6 cylinder was swapped with a 302 before he bought it.

• Sponsors (?)

Dude, I was looking to pick up a '67 a while back and realized then that the classic section of this site is pretty slow. I wouldnt mind you posting about the car in the 94-95 section if its actually allowed. Who doesnt like looking at pictures and admiring other people's hard work?

Hell yeah dude! We have a 66 all original, Stright 6, auto so I'm into the classics too lol. Would love to build a resto mod type deal someday. It's kinda a shame that most of the older stangs were auto. I've seen a lot for sale on ebay but the auto turns me away. I want the fun of shifting gears lol.

Got the old 302 out and all the interior except the dash support. Passenger side floor needs some help and the subframes don't look very good but other then that it's pretty decent for being 41 years old. I forgot to take my laptop so I will have to wait till Dad emails me the pics.

Now we need to buy some parts and tools before we go any further. TIG welder is top of the list.

Some pics

Attachments

• rear floor.jpg
    rear floor.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 58902_147839368583732_100000730108113_274631_6417177_n.jpg
    58902_147839368583732_100000730108113_274631_6417177_n.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 89
i'm game too. i have a 67 fairlane convertible with the 390FE. that i will finally be working on now that i have a garage. the wife still says i need to sell either it or the mustang. that's a hard one, but if push comes to shove, the stang will have to go. i can't part with the fairlane

There was a really cool article in MM&FF a while ago about doing a Cleveland style 400M engine. That's an FE style motor. The got an old 400M engine (which is a boat anchor, gutless wonder), did some mods to it with the stock crank and rods, and Cleveland parts, aluminum heads. It made killer power and torque, despite the low compression. The best part is, the old 400M engines have such a horrible reputation, people throw them away. If you wanted to do something different, affordable, and nostalgic, it's something to look into.

Kurt

Not real sure what we are going to do with the suspension yet. He already said we are doing 4 wheel disc brakes on it. We have a 9 inch rear to put in it, probably do a caltrac setup back there. I guess it all depends on how much money/how soon he wants to drive it again.

Hard part now is talking him into buying a TIG welder, they are hellish expensive. I'm not a good enough welder to feel safe using s MIG. Plus I can use it to DIY a turbo setup on my car then.

passengerframerail.jpg

driverframerailclose.jpg

driverframerail.jpg

We took off the fenders and bumper and found out it was wrecked. Passenger-side shock tower is welded/bent and the bolts to the bumper bracket weren't factory(on the passenger-side). Hell the one bolt didn't even go the whole way thru the frame-rail. More bad news there too both sides are badly rusted were the bumper attaches to them. This is turning into a lot of work which is what I expected.:jaw:

Almost have the 351w out of the Bronco then we can get rid of that scrap heap. I think we are going to build a 393w with AFR 205's. I still haven't researched the 351-400Modified route. But I believe there is one of those sitting around here too. I thought they were a cleveland based motor so I need to learn more.

We are going this week to get grinders and other tools we are going to need. Then we can see how deep the cancer is and plan the attack while waiting on a welder. Looks like we are going to get a Syncrowave 200 or 250dx.

this is the side that got hit, where the 2 bolts are it bulges out and the silver/unpainted part on the framerail is a welded on plate
passengerdamage.jpg

the nice side
driversdamage.jpg

close up of the passenger-side framerail
rustholecloseup.jpg

close up of drivers framerail
rustholecloseup2.jpg

me holding the light for my daughter
aeriswheel.jpg

the gang that comes to watch, drink beer and tell me what to do:eek:
thecrew.jpg

My brother is the one in the red hoody 2 uncles wearing the flanels and Big Ed in the Ford shirt. Dad is behind the camera so doubtful to see pics of him.

We were supposed to go get grinders and tools but when I got there Dad's truck was making a bad noise. So we messed with it and waited for someone to come look at it. It was the rear-end carrier bearings went bad.

We leveled the car and put it on jackstands. We only have Fridays to work on it so it is going to be a long slow process.

Last night we almost got the 351W out of the old Bronco, 1 stuck TQ converter bolt holding us up. After that we moved inside and took out the 8 inch rear and shocks both front spindles and the passenger side spring.

I really hate working on stuff after other people any more. I was trying to take off the leaf springs and one of the nuts was ground half way off but they stopped when they got to the bolt. Why would someone do that and not finish the job? Then drive or let someone else drive the car like that. Whoever swapped the 302 into it never put V8 springs in the front either.

We are going today to look at tools and stuff. At this point everything has been done with wrenches and ratchets. I'll add pics when Dad sends them to me.

We got the 351W out of the old Bronco this week. Unfortunately it isn't a roller block, it looks pretty good for sitting for a long time. No rust in the cylinders or anything. Probably didn't hurt that Bee's built a nest in the carb, it had water pooled in the top of it.

Dad accidentally deleted the pics from last week and hasn't posted this weeks pics yet. When/if he does I'll add them here.

We got the 351W out of the old Bronco this week. Unfortunately it isn't a roller block, it looks pretty good for sitting for a long time. No rust in the cylinders or anything. Probably didn't hurt that Bee's built a nest in the carb, it had water pooled in the top of it.

Dad accidentally deleted the pics from last week and hasn't posted this weeks pics yet. When/if he does I'll add them here.

Ah that blows. Same thing happened to me. What year bronco was it in?