69 Custom Console project

j69302

Jan 31, 2006
I am in process of building a custom center console and I need to replace my radio/heater bezel. I also want to add 3 guages as well.

My question is I cant decide if I want to add the guages where the radio is, or put them underneath where the original cig lighter and ashtray were.

Has anybody installed or seen any of the plastic DIN bezels? They look pretty cheap in the pictures and most places want 100 bucks for them..

I really like the billet ones but can't justify 400 dollars for 20 dollars of aluminum.

So I'm just asking for some opinions and what you would do with mounting locations.

Here is a link to my console. So far it is just a mock up out of a card board box. I am waiting to buy the radio/heater bezel and new radio side trim pieces so I can fit the front end better into the dash.

I plan on putting in some cup holders, 2 cig lighters for power, and a auxiliary audio jack on the slanted portion just behind the shifter. Once its built out of wood, have it covered to match the seats with a stainles trim plate running down the center.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm also planning on making a center console for my '70. I'm assuming you're going to glass the form you made. I want to do the same thing except make mine more curved rather than angular. I also have a DIN bezel. I think it was about $100. It's ok but if I had to do it again I would put gauges where the radio goes and just have a hidden receiver with ipod connector as that's all I listen to anyway. Your project looks great so far, keep us posted and the pics coming! :nice:

Looks great!

I've currently adapted a fox body console into my 68 but I want something more old school now.
I like the Shelby style consoles for 67-68.
A few months back there was a pretty in depth article in MM&F about a company that reproduces customized Shelby style consoles. There are some pretty good detail shots and I think they give me enough info and pics to attempt to build on myself. I think I'm going to do that this summer.

I'm also planning on making a center console for my '70. I'm assuming you're going to glass the form you made. I want to do the same thing except make mine more curved rather than angular. I also have a DIN bezel. I think it was about $100. It's ok but if I had to do it again I would put gauges where the radio goes and just have a hidden receiver with ipod connector as that's all I listen to anyway. Your project looks great so far, keep us posted and the pics coming! :nice:

How was the fit of the DIN bezel?

Ill keep putting pics up as I go... Im awaiting the bezels and trim to fit the front to the dash and make the wooden one.

The fit is actually pretty good and it holds the stereo nice and secure. Still a ripoff though.

I was just about to ask you about that when I saw your reply.

Is your radio held in there by only the bezel? I notice they sell a bracket to support the radios now.

I agree its still a ripoff but if it hold the radio securely, I think I will go with that one then.

Just bought some autometer carbon fiber volt meter, water temp, and oil pressure gauge, some angled mounting cup and the 3 gauge DIN pod so i can try both places and see what I like best. The gauges are just there to backup my factory ones.. Who knows how accurate they are.

The radio slides into the DIN bracket attached to the bezel. The bezel bolts to the dash at the top and bottom. Plenty secure.

I need to get started on my console! Right now my shifter boot is held to the carpet with black duct tape! :jaw:

custom consoles

Just chipping in my 2 cents too ... a link to a pic of the console I'm working on is here:

http://www.fastcomposites.ca/Downloads/DSC05085.JPG

Shaping it out of foam-cored fiberglass panels with some high density foam glued on to give it some contours. Will also cut out for the sliding door from my original '68 console, and the interior light in the rear of it. New stereo head will fit into a cutout near the top. And a cupholder once I figure out where I won't knock it with my elbow when shifting. Finally plan to finish off with black vinyl.

Phil

high density foam.... benefits of having a composite's business, I just pull it out of the scrap bin :) 18 lb/ft^3 urethane tooling board, shapes like a dream with surform and sandpaper.

I figure when I apply the vinyl, I'll try to stitch in a thin layer of padding too. We'll see...

Phil

havnt really up dated this since I havnt done much to it.. But I did finally decided how to mount the gauges.. I am problably not going to add a radio, but still considering it. There is just barely enough room under the dash(where the lighter/ash tray goes) to put on if I change my mind...

I would much rather have something that will play directly from an Ipod... Just a small amp or something.. Dont need a radio or a cd player.. I have no idea if such a thing even exists.. I just got this idea today and havnt looked to see whats out there yet.

This is the aftermarket DIN sized radio/heater bezel.. It fit right in, centered up nice between the radio trim panels I test fitted my radio and it fit securely The texture is pretty ugly, it has a straw type texture instead of the camera case. I painted it with Rustoleum satin black and "stainless steel" color. I still beleive this is nowhere near the 85 dollars that I bought it for... This isn't worth more than 30... however, Over all, i am happy with it.
IMG_2375.jpg

Trying out some two-tone in the interior.. I think I will paint or cover the console to match the stainless steel paint on the bezel.
IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

Painted the passenger side dash panel with Rustoleum Stainless Steel. This paint looks REALLY great on smoother surfaces. I painted a peice of sheet metal I had laying around and it came out very nice.. Not as dark as actual stainless steel but is a very nice color with ambient light shining on it. The flash on the picture really doesnt do it justice.

Looks good, but not as good as I thought it was going to look.. Im gonna roll with it for a little but before i paint the instrument cluster.

IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

Looks good, but not as good as I thought it was going to look.. Im gonna roll with it for a little but before i paint the instrument cluster.
IMG_2393.jpg

[/b][/size]

That's exactly what I was planning to doing to my dash. Painted the passenger side and wasn't impressed, haha. I'm going back to black whenever I get motivated to get things done in there. Good progress on the console!

yeah ill make a box for it.. the lid/arm rest in the pic is the repro 69 console armrest.. Im going to make a box and fit it to the console.. the pillars are just some extra cup holders that i used to test the height i wanted.

I will need to taper the console though to match the armrest.. maybe i can mount the pad to the ammo box.. lol