7.5 or 8.8 rear end?

My quick search did not help me find an answer. Is there any way to verify if my '86 GT has a 7.5 or 8.8 rear end without taking it apart? I would like to get some 3.55 gears installed this weekend and want to be sure that the correct parts are ordered.

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

Check the door tag. That should have an axle code. There should also be a tag on one of the cover bolts on the axle. It will read something like 2L73 8 8 or 3 55 7 5, etc. First series of digits is gear ratio, second set is ring gear diameter. Also, the 8.8 has 4 flat edges on the cover while the 7.5 has two visually.

Sorry i'm a bit late on this one. You can identify it by looking at the bolt pattern on the diff cover.

EVERYONE right click/save as:

7.5:
attachment.php

8.8:
attachment.php

As you can see, the 7.5 is sort of oval shaped while the 8.8 is more of a rounded square kind of shape. Note that they have the same number of bolts too so that doesn't give any hints. Hope that helps.

The 7.5" can be built up, but why bother? You can always weld the quad shock brackets on the axle housing of the 7.5 I guess.

Yeah, back in the day it was all about a 7.5 with a Detroit locker in it, unless you had the cash for a 9 inch. Now you can build up an 8.8 to be just as strong or stronger than any 9 inch.