70 Mustang Front-End problem

callys

Oct 14, 2005
Hello everyone,

I have been slowly replacing the front end components on my 70 Mach 1 (and kind of now wish I had left it stock).

I am running globalwest front springs and bilsteins that are supposedly valved for classic mustangs. I am also running opentracker's roller perches, globalwest upper control arms, new stock lower control arms, and a globalwest swaybar.

I have not touched the strut rods (other than adjusting them for alignment) or the strut rod bushings. The bushings LOOK ok to me.

I also re-used my factory rubber spring isolators on top of the coils because they looked fine (had 68k miles on them).

When I drive down the road the front left bangs and clatters like a horse cart. I am trying to figure out the source of this. If I put the car up on the lift and try to shake the wheel as hard as I can it does not deflect significantly. Also if I drive down a road where the road banks down toward the passenger side (crown is raised), and the left side is under more load, then it rattles constantly.

I can not see or find any loose parts underneath. The only other issues I can see is that when I adjusted the eccentric on each side the inner wall that the eccentric rubs on bowed outward (I had the wheels supported when I did this).

The car sits about 1/2" lower on the front left on level ground.

I have not had the car professionally aligned yet, but I do have one of the handheld tools that bolts on the wheel and a lift, I have put off getting it aligned because of the noise - if a part is bad I know I will be out my money when I have to have it aligned again. The car drives straight and the alignment checks ok with the handheld tool on the ground.

Anyone have any ideas? I have considered replacing the spring isolators, but the globalwest isolators say they raise the car, and it is already pretty high in the front. I have also considered going to eccentric eliminators, maybe the front left eccentric is moving under load? Do alignment shops usually work with these?

• Sponsors (?)

Horse sence,

Thanks for the reply. I checked that and both bolts at the bottom are snug. I can not wiggle the shock with the wheel supported in the air.

I did notice yesterday that the wheel shake and rattle largely goes away when I am on the brakes so I am thinking maybe wheel bearing, going to try that next.

i dont think you would realy get a rattle from the wheel bearings it would feel loose and possibly walk in the road.
grab the radius rod and shake it up and down towards the rubber bushing end and see if it rattles there. it could even be the idler arm on the drag link do the same with it

Could be your front brakes. What type of brakes do you have? I put Granada discs on the front of my '70 and as installed the pads were a little loose. They rattled all the time. What I did was bend the tabs on them to tighten up their fit.

Does it rattle on relatively smooth roads, or just when you hit bumps?

Hack I have the stock 1970 front discs. If I am going down a relatively smooth road where it is banked down to the right and the left is under load it rattles constantly, and its pretty loud and sounds/feels like the wheel is moving around.

Sometimes working on these things makes me feel dumb lol. I had a friend shake the wheel hard in the air while I looked with a flash light and it looks like both my idler and pitman arm have quite a bit of play.