70mm or 65mm TB ?

tstang21

Apr 14, 2008
at the moment, im piecing things together 1 by 1. i have the stock intake on still but soon to upgrade. im thinking which 1 should i go for. a 70mm or 65mm ? i still want maintain my low end still

• Sponsors (?)

It would be absolutely pointless to go with a 65mm TB. I don't even know why they are made. I went with a 70mm and wish I had gone with a 75mm. They do not meter anything they are simply like a valve. A smaller one is not going to give you more torque than another one. If anything I would think it will be the other way around. If I were you I would go with a 70mm Accufab RACE throttle body. My next throttle body will be a 90mm RACE one from them. :nice:

Now that I think about it I think you should go with a 75mm. If you go aftermarket intake later the adapter elbow is 75mm so I think you should match the TB to it. Also stick with a RACE throttle body from Accufab because I strongly believe in even a mild combo would do better with a 4" powerpipe than a stupid ebay CAI or a BBK one. But what do I know, my car isn't even running at the moment. :p

well actually i wanted to for a TB thats both good for stock/aftermarekt intake. im leaning towards the 70mm but some say that youll loose some power. sounds kinda skecthy though.

consider what else you are going to do to the intake ? . . . simply putting on a larger throttle body will not net any gains . . . remember the stock MAF will still be a choke point . . . upgrading to a 76mm C&L MAF and 75mm Accufab are both sensible choices and really well made components . . . still, you really won't notice a gain until you swap out the intake . . . but it's a beginning . . . which seems to me to be what you are looking for.

leave your stocker on till you actually need that extra air.......i lost most of my low end (thank god for my gears) when i went with my 70mm with my mods, and i have an aftermarket intake........a 302 doesent need more than a 70mm.......do some research......90mm?????? useless

consider what else you are going to do to the intake ? . . . simply putting on a larger throttle body will not net any gains . . . remember the stock MAF will still be a choke point . . . upgrading to a 76mm C&L MAF and 75mm Accufab are both sensible choices and really well made components . . . still, you really won't notice a gain until you swap out the intake . . . but it's a beginning . . . which seems to me to be what you are looking for.

I agree totally with this guy. tstang21 just remember....if you listen to the guys that run in the 14's in the 1/4th then don't be mad when your car runs 14's. ;) Think about that.

And too big of a throttle body cannot hurt your performance. There comes a point to where you will not gain anything by going bigger but you will not have a loss in power. :lol: If you believe that then I suppose you will also believe that too big of a CAI will lose power over another smaller one. ;)

I think if you do alot of things differently to your combo you would make more power. But to simply answer your question...yes. Also I pray to God your car runs faster than the time in your sig with a 125 shot.

how much would it cost for a race tb, 76 mm maf, and power pipe? im guessing at least $400. how much power would that give me? i dont even think 5 rwhp. waste of money if you ask me. about the time i didnt think it was that bad. im sure with a good 60' i could knock a few more tenths off. i think the mph is right on par. that was actually the first night running the 125 shot and since then i have had a few different problems so i have not had many clean passes yet. the track has been closed all summer so as soon as it opens back up im sure the et will drop.