71 331 shortblock questions

KrazZ27

Feb 16, 2008
I have a friend who is having to get rid of his 71 stang (project car). He just had had the original block stroked to a 331 with all forged probe internals. It is still a flat tappet motor however. I have a 94 302 stock short block and was thinking of possibliy stroking it out. My question is would i be better buying the 331 (for $1500)from him and just using the parts i already have and converting it to a roller motor (if possible), leaving it a flat tappet camed motor (does come with flat cam), buying it for just the internals, or just stay away from it all together?

• Sponsors (?)

hmmmmmm ... i assume it is carbed? what heads are on it?

to be able to use it, you would still have to drop some more coin ....

the dizzy is not compatible with our computers ...

the gear for a flat tappet cam is (i think) the wrong type of metal to use with our distributors ...

not sure about the feasibility for converting to a HR cam and lifters ... do those older blocks support HR lifters, or would he need link bar lifters (link bar lifters are expensive!)?

does it have the mechanical fuel pump?

then there are the accessories ... your 94/95 accessories should probably be swapped over ... not much space in front of the motor in our engine bays

still, $1500 seems like a pretty good price for a built 331, and you can probably sell the stuff you take off it.

:shrug:

Probe is good stuff. If you got the extra money to rebuild a roller block with the parts I'd go for it. If it has a decent set of heads on it, then it's definately worth it.

Kurt