72 mach 1 project

my72mach1

Feb 17, 2007
This is my first resto project and I have to admit, at first I wasn't sure if I even wanted to try to do the work myself. After some sticker shock at a couple rod shops, I decided to sub out some of the work and do what I could myself. So far, I'm happy with the results, not outstanding, but with my goal of it eventually being a driver (not a show car) not bad.

I am attaching some photos of the build to date. Started out finding the car at a local "classic" car dealer. It was sitting in a field rotting and in need of some serious work. But the engine wasn't in bad shape, 351C with ram air. So far, I subbed out the floor pan, tailight panel and trunk floor replacement. Then I handled the following:

New gas tank
New quarters and outer wheel housings
New electronic ignition and coil
Replaced drivers side fender
Gutted interior
New headliner
New dash pad
New carpets
reupholstered seats
New door panels

I just got it back from having a rebuilt c6 installed with a Hurst quarter stick and now it's back to the bodywork and sanding. I plan to give a shot painting it once the sanding is done. Anyway, I'll keep updates coming as I make progress.

Attachments

• Must 1.jpg
    Must 1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Must 2.jpg
    Must 2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Sponsors (?)

Unfortunately I am new here and apparently cannot see pics. I don't know when I will be able to. I am excited to see your project as I have the exact same project now. I have, what I believe to be, a 1972 351 4bbl dual ram air car with standard tranny. Am very curious to see yours.

Wow it's already looking fabulous. Can I ask what you payed for the floor replacement?

The quarters look good. Why'd you sub out the floors? It looks to me like you know your way around a welder.

Best of luck!!!!

Thanks for the support and kind words guys. Floors were $2k to remove the old and put in full driver and passenger side. In hindsight I probably would do it myself, but I had never done any welding prior to the quarters and I heard a lot about the structural intergrity on the unibodies if you mess up the floors. So I decided to be safe. I'm doing some sanding now and hoping to spray it in a couple weeks. My first attempt at paint so wish me luck. I'll get some interior pics up soon also.

Whew paint, that's going to be fun trust me. I put so many hours into painting my stang it ain't even funny. Looks fairly good for a garage job, but it ain't finished yet. I stopped when the average temps went down below 70 outside.

Follow all paint manufacture specs/instructions to the letter. I paid for trying to fudge on the paint to thiner mix. Also find you a good paint dealer that's knowledgeable about painting.

You can do it!! I can't wait to see it on the road.

my72mach1: Your pics make me feel a little better. My '73 Cougar's floor pan is okay; but someday the drivers' side quarter is gonna look like your pics (and I hope the outer wheelhouse is another piece shared by the Mustang and the Cougar); and your "before and after" pics give me hope that I can do a decent job as well.
Just please tell me you got it right with the first (and only) quarter-skin! I can't find repop replacement skins anywhere (I think the 71-73 Stang skins have been on the market for only a year; 71-73 Cougar skins will come out God-knows-when.); so I'm gonna have to search junkyards all over for a decent skin and cut it off to put on my car. Fortunately; things don't rust much in Southern Arizona; and my brother recalls seeing a few "Big Cats" with decent left-rear sheetmetal in Phoenix junkyards while he was looking for a good replacement driver's door for his F150.

I actually found the outer wheel well to be more challenging than the quarter. May just be me, but as long as you take your time lining it up before you cut and mark your line clearly I thought it was pretty starightforward. Good luck!