73mm brake caliper upgrade

8950HO

Mar 31, 2005
I`ve seen some posts recently about using 73mm Lincoln/Crown Vic front brake calipers on 87-93,5.0L Mustangs as they are a direct bolt on.

My question to those who have done this is how much of an improvement in braking performance,(if any),does this swap provide???Is it worth it?

• Sponsors (?)

It makes a huge improvement. I decided to keep drum rears and had to add a proportioning valve after the combo valve to reduce pressure on the rears after the swap because the rears would lock first. I have power stop slotted rotors, crown vic 73mm calipers, MM stainless brake caliper sleeves and MM rear shoes. Also have SS lines front and rear, Sn94 MC, 3 to 2 port conversion and 93 Cobra booster. This setup works really well for the street.

Good Luck, Don

blkstangman88 said:
whats the exact years to get the 73mm calipers from? and do i need new rotors or will stock work?

My car came with the 86 SVO 73mm Calipers. don't ask me how that happened but when I went to change wheel bearings & seals, thats when I found out. I don't use a prop valve, just the stocker and brake hawk pads, car stops pretty good considering the rear drums (with carbon fiber shoes).
(still wish I had 4 wheel disc's tho)

Scott