'76 2.3L w/ turbo??

Discussion in '2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech' started by 69stang351, Mar 3, 2004.

1. 69stang351

69stang351 New Member

I'll be posting this in the mustang II category also but I was wondering if I could possibly turbo my 2.3L in my '76 cobra II its carbed but i heard somwhere that some carbed 2.3L came turboed from the factory?? :shrug:

2. G-90

G-90 New Member

ya, they did, but not much power.

You could probably make more with a cam, Offenhauser intake, and Holley 4 bbl ;)

3. 69stang351

69stang351 New Member

So, about how much power do you think I could get out of this 2.3L and still keep it close to original... i.e. no efi, no boring over, no nitrous... etc. ??

4. Anlushac11

Founding Member

Carb tuRBO 2.3L was rated IIRC at 145hp from the factory, you can get a gillis boost gauge and run boost to 11 lbs and it should be pulling close to 175hp.
    You will have to see if oyur crossunder pipe will clear your K-member. From tehre stock 2.3L turbo mods all apply. Bigger cam, 3" downpipe, 3" exhaust, turbo cam, ported head, etc. Also you will need to bump the carb jets a wee bit to support the extra boost.

I am thinking if you keep it mild 190hp isnt unreal and if you get crazy with it 250hp is possible. If at all possible you need to port exhaust manifold and get exhaust manifold, crossunder pipe, and exhaust side of turbo jet hot coated. One of the guys who has a 79 turbo had a 3" crossunderpipe made and he said that alone almost eliminated turbo lag. If you jet hot coat the crossunderpipe and exhaust manifold you keep the heat in the exhaust and that boosts the throttle response.