76 cobra II original parts & specs.

69stang351

Dec 23, 2002
Spokane, WA
I have a 76 cobra II and have a few questions concerning the options it came with...

Currently it has a normal mustang II grille, normal mustang II steering wheel but all the other cobra II options (door panels, rear spoiler, evidence of window slats, stripes etc.) also it has a buck tag that indicates it is an original cobra II.

I was wondering if my cobra II is supposed to have the steering wheel and grille from a cobra II??

Also when I purchased the car it was missing the front air dam, I was wondering if the air dam was in need of the front valance or if it was just a stand alone item on the car (does it need the valance to be connected to)

This should complete my questions and concerns... any feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

'76s came with the standard corporate steering wheel.

You need both the spoiler and valance panel.

The grille should be molded in black, have no pony mounting tabs, and have chrome park lamp bezels for '76.

THE COBRAMAN said:
The grille should be molded in black, have no pony mounting tabs, and have chrome park lamp bezels for '76.

There are two different kinds of cobra emblems for the grill, one that mounts the exact same as the pony, and then the clip on plastic type. I was thinking the 76 had the same mount on style for both the cobra and pony, but I could be wrong.

T0BASC032 said:
There are two different kinds of cobra emblems for the grill, one that mounts the exact same as the pony, and then the clip on plastic type. I was thinking the 76 had the same mount on style for both the cobra and pony, but I could be wrong.

if it was an original cobra, it should have the metal cobra and not the plastic on the grill

T0BASC032 said:

Nope. Common misconception. Every original '76 I have had/seen used the metal snake, and has a back-up strap that the screws go into to hold it into the grille. The back-up strap is just a flat strap with a tight "U" shaped bend in the middle to straddle the vertical rib on the grille. I used to have a pic of it, but lost it in a drive crash.The spacing on the pony holes and the snake bracket holes are different.

The '77 and 78s use the clip-on snake. It's also the service part for the '76s in later years.

well, all this information really helps alot!! seeing as I want to turn this car into a concourse restoration project. sounds like i need to do some heavy searching to find myself an original 76 cobra grille as they are different from the 77 and 78. I did not know that. this forum has turned out to be quite helpful in scarce info. thanks alot guys! :nice:

69stang351 said:
sounds like i need to do some heavy searching to find myself an original 76 cobra grille as they are different from the 77 and 78. I did not know that. this forum has turned out to be quite helpful in scarce info. thanks alot guys! :nice:

The '76 and '77 grilles are the same, use different parklamp bezels.

The '78 has the parklamp bezels molded in.