79 tail light possibilities

bbeck

Dec 11, 2006
Michigan
From what I've read, it sounds like the newer lights don't bolt on to my car- please correct me if this assumption is wrong. So, I'd like to see some pics of the available lights installed to get an idea of what I want for my car. I don't really care too much for the lights that came on my car. My car is a black 79 notchback.

• Sponsors (?)

You wont really find anything for the 79-82s. The 83+ can be made to fit by welding patches where the old lights were and cutting out new holes.

Keep your 79-82 lights a while to see if they grow on ya. I actually prefer the 79-82 lights, they seem more old school imo.

I would love to put '79 style in my coupe but i don't wanna butcher the rear end to make it right. If i ever get another coupe i'm gonna search the ends of the world for a perfect '79 and you can bet your ass it'll have the stock style lights on it. They look like proper Mustang tail lights, not like the big wide monsters that they switched too. That's one of the few things i really don't like about Fox's....too much tail light! They should've stuck with the 3 vertical bars theme and never looked back.

i like em...and want a pair for my GT...id do it

View attachment 353206

that'd be cool if they had 3 bulbs for sequential turn signals...:drool:

Oh it's been done....in fact there's a guy local that has a '79 hatch and his has sequential lights. It's a stock 2.3 car and it's in amazing shape (brown...Ryan would love it..lol). I've tried a million times to get the car from him but he won't come off it.

Oh it's been done....in fact there's a guy local that has a '79 hatch and his has sequential lights. It's a stock 2.3 car and it's in amazing shape (brown...Ryan would love it..lol). I've tried a million times to get the car from him but he won't come off it.

i want to do it to these...like with little dividers or something lol... Well maybe LEDs

View attachment 353204

Here's what the back of the car looked like when I bought it. Tail lights aren't the only thing for me to do, but it's on my list.

n53800665_30358492_1132.jpg

I'm thinking you're gonna have a hard time finding decent ones...mainly because a LOT of people swapped to Mustang lights back in the day, so just like the cheese grater GT lights are starting to get rare, the Capri lights are too.