8.8 diff recommendations

Mr Grim

Dec 29, 2006
Time to upgrade to 31 spline 5 lug axles with the new 3.73's. What are the recommendations on the diff? Auburn, Track-loc? The car is close to stock now, but will need to stand up to 375-400 to the rear soon! :D
Daily driver that will see a few trips to the track every year.

• Sponsors (?)

My Recommendation:

F-150 Ford Trac-Lok rebuilt with the extra clutch
Moser or Strange or (insert favorite here) 5 lug, stock length, 31 spline axles
Diff Girdle
Welded Axle Tubes
New brakes...blah blah blah

the anti lock exciter ring is for the ABS systems on the trucks, explorers and other ford cars. It will work fine with your car. If you had a car or truck with ABS you would need a diff that you could swap the anti lock exciter ring onto from the stocker.

Thanks Daggar.
I am leaning toward this trac-loc with the carbon fiber discs along with a set of FRPP 5-lug 31 spline axles.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=M4204F318C 1&comp=LRS

What does "will accept anti-lock exciter ring" mean?

Looks like a nice piece but you can get a rebuilt truck unit for about $110 from e-bay (and a few other places I'm aware of) and never in a million years be able to tell a difference in performance.

For a mainly street deal though... I'd def stay with a clutch type locker (so you're on the right track). Sure there are folks out there with things like the Tru-Trak etc., that swear by them but nothing has better street manners than the stock type setup.

So long as you've equal tread marks... who cares how much tighter this locker hold than that one... enything past being locked is pretty much a waste.

Eaton,best cltuch type locker IMO.

Had run a 28 spline one with Moser 28 spline race alloy axles w/ c-clip elims. with 28X10.5 M/T slicks lauching @ 5800rpm with about a 600hp 408 at the track,and many street miles and some nitrous hits as well.Only thing the happened was the axles has little twist in them when we finaly replaced them :eek:

Eaton,best cltuch type locker IMO.

Had run a 28 spline one with Moser 28 spline race alloy axles w/ c-clip elims. with 28X10.5 M/T slicks lauching @ 5800rpm with about a 600hp 408 at the track,and many street miles and some nitrous hits as well.Only thing the happened was the axles has little twist in them when we finaly replaced them :eek:

That would be why Im going with some 28 splines.

Im running the Auburn Pro Locker.
No clutches here.

Awesome traction. But it will occasionally hop the inner wheel on a turn if there is alot of sand or gravel in the road. And the car takes a bit more room to turn around now.

I would love to try one of the Eaton electric diffs.