8.8 Master Housing Dimension?

Does any body know what the Master Housing Dimension is for an 8.8 in Rear end? My Proform Pinion Depth Tool came with a list of MHD’s and it said 4.420. I have read two other online sources that say the MHD for an 8.8 is 4.419 or 4.415?? This .001-.005 would matter when shimming a pinion. Does anybody know what the Ford manual says?

• Sponsors (?)

Well I e-mailed Currie, Richmond and Mark Williams Enterprises (Three Huge Rear End/Gear Companies) and they all said that the MHD for the Ford 8.8 is 4.415. So now I have to call Pro Form and ask them why they put 4.420 on their directions.

4.420 is all i have ever heard, and if your off .005 on the pinion depth, it most likely isnt going to cause an issue. Its not always the case, and you should be checking this, but usually FRPP gears can be swapped using the stock pinion shim, and its close enough to not cause an issue. That isnt true of the carrier shim, but how hard is it to check backlash...

4.420 is all i have ever heard, and if your off .005 on the pinion depth, it most likely isnt going to cause an issue. Its not always the case, and you should be checking this, but usually FRPP gears can be swapped using the stock pinion shim, and its close enough to not cause an issue. That isnt true of the carrier shim, but how hard is it to check backlash...
That's why I always recommend only using the FRPP ring and pinion.