8.8 question

nfsug2cobra

Dec 20, 2010
Portland IN.
I have a howling problem in the back side of my Cobra. I had a local shop set up some 4.10 gears for me. Rear seemed really tight when I got it back. I am afraid they had the turning torque set wrong. However, I was playing around, getting on it and off of it (wife had to pee) I think I may have screwed it up. I haven't taken it apart yet, but I think I have wasted my crush sleeve with my antics. It has gotten worse and worse, and now the car is parked waiting on me to climb under and fix it. My question is: Can I set up my turning force on the pinion and then pull it apart and machine a piece the same size as the new crush sleeve and simply replace it? Or is it a matter of shimming to get it right? I can set up the new gears myself now, don't know what I was thinking letting someone else turn a wrench on my car anyway. Thanks for your input! JON
Edit/Delete Message

• Sponsors (?)

Last fall and less than a thousand miles ago. They have failed WAY early. My theory is he either did his set up wrong, (Was really tight when I got it) or he used a cheap crush sleeve and it's tweaked. Should have been way tougher than this. Trying not to be mad about it, but it's the only thing I ever let anyone else do. Wasted a set of Ford racing gears. But I am over it. Just want it bullet proof when I do it.

That really isn't what the question was. I want to know about getting rid of the crush sleeve. If that is the problem, it will come back. Has anyone else ever had one go bad? I will know more when I tear it apart. But I have to paint jobs to complete first. So it will be January or so.

What gears do you have (FRPP, Motive, etc.). I dont see how the crush sleeve could have gone bad unless it was installed incorrectly. It sounds like your problems stem from the installer rather the parts.

Thats what I was getting at the turning force on the diff was way high. I could tell by the way the car coasted when the clutch was in. Kind of like dragging breaks. I think it was set up to tight and now that it has loosened some it is ate up? Rear rolls freely now. But it still whines like a teenager without a cell phone. I am afraid that getting on it and off of it like I was may have created some thrust problems on the pinion shaft. That is about when the noise started.