8.8 rear end cover?? Mac or T/A??

89MustangGX said:
Ok, I have to play devil's advocate here and ask how you know this?

Like I said above, I've had more than one (including the T/A - SVO) and now a Strange, and to my naked eye I can't tell any real difference in material, and they seem to weigh abotu the same as best I can recall, in fact -- I like the Strange setup better with actual botls rather than allen heads. :shrug:

49.jpg

That was opposed to MAC's products not strange..

• Sponsors (?)

HaggardGT said:
MAC is not crap! I've never heard anyone rag on MAC stuff before, this is new to me. I have a full MAC exhaust and I love it! Even though it's not exactly what you might call street legal, it sounds nasty and the prices for the components can't be beat.
:rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh: :lol:
Reeeeeeeeeeally!!!! I hate to be the one to break it to you butalot of it is crap. there famous and all wonderfull hts coating is a joke, it rubs of like water paint, and will rust so fast it's funny,
There headers aren't great, half the people who put them on go crazy cause they don't line up, or have flaws from the factory (welding etc..),, if you remove them they will never fit right again.cause they warp, due to no flanges.
there throttle bodies are junk!!!!!
there shifters are junk!!!!
their mufflers do sound good...
DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, GO INTO THE REVIEWS UP TOP AND CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF.....
You get what you pay for....... you can't by a KIA and expect it to be a porshe....... :nice:

Mac and BBK are on my Poop list !!

Never owned either brand and there is ZERO on my stang.

I have installed there crap for customers, now I turn it away !

Too many headaches and come backs.

The other thing is this, stuff works for the price. Just not very long. :lol:

Rumor was that all the rear covers are made by ONE company that put your name on it !!!
Have no proof, but come on. Everybody had casting equipment in house???

$.02

MAC products are crap.

I got a cover in a deal with the gears for the F150. The bolts are almost to short that hold the cover to the axle and then the girdle screws. be forwarned about that one. Other than that, it has held up. Dont use the gasket it comes with, always silicone those on. So far so good there.

89MustangGX said:
Like I said above, I've had more than one (including the T/A - SVO) and now a Strange, and to my naked eye I can't tell any real difference in material, and they seem to weigh abotu the same as best I can recall, in fact -- I like the Strange setup better with actual botls rather than allen heads. :shrug:
QUOTE]

All aluminum feels the same, looks the same and is really close in density. The alloy used can be hugely different and you can't tell if it has been heat treated unless you use a surface hardness tester.

Some alloys have great strength if they are heat treated, but they stink without it.

The difference in tensile strength between a cheap casting alloy and the best is at least a factor of four. That's right, same weight, same appearance, 4x stronger.

I'll take any cover with a good alloy, like a TA over any cover that will not document the alloy and heat treat of their product.

If mac will document it, it should be fine if it fits, which is another issue with mac.

Also, the 8.8 was desighed to work without a girdle, so if the mac does nothing for the strength of the rear end, who could tell? If your rear end still breaks, I'll bet they say you are making way too much power for an 8.8.

I'll consider it when I see one on a drag car that runs low 10's without breaking for at least 50 runs.

331 cobra said:
Also, the 8.8 was desighed to work without a girdle, so if the mac does nothing for the strength of the rear end, who could tell? If your rear end still breaks, I'll bet they say you are making way too much power for an 8.8.

I'll consider it when I see one on a drag car that runs low 10's without breaking for at least 50 runs.

The MAC works just like the TA, SVO, TF, Summit, etc. It is a thick aluminum cover with the post that extend to the main cap for added support.