8.8 Rearend Fluid

• Sponsors (?)

looking at the front of the axle housing where the driveshaft bolts look to the right side of the housing above axle there is a filler plug there that you can remove with a 3/8 inch ratchet and extension the extension square end will fit into the end of the plug attach ratchet and remove

heres a picture
8.jpg

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 68
If the plug is either too rusty, or starts to strip like mine did, you can also fill it through the axle vent on top of the pass. side axle tube.

In all honesty, if you already have the cover off, drill and tap it for a plug. I did, and it made life SO much easier.

95GTAODE said:
If the plug is either too rusty, or starts to strip like mine did, you can also fill it through the axle vent on top of the pass. side axle tube.

In all honesty, if you already have the cover off, drill and tap it for a plug. I did, and it made life SO much easier.
Be careful not to overfill it doing this; when you start spinning it high rpms it will puke out the vent. A friend of mine just went thru this last month, lubed the whole backend of his car & stainded his Bassani stainless exhaust.

Lems

Lemonade said:
Be careful not to overfill it doing this; when you start spinning it high rpms it will puke out the vent. A friend of mine just went thru this last month, lubed the whole backend of his car & stainded his Bassani stainless exhaust.

Lems

Yup!

Thats why you use the stock fill hole. I filled mine through the fill hole on my girdle but I kept the stock fill hole open so it would start pouring out when it was fill :nice:

Girdles make it a lot easier to fill it up. I used an old squeezable plastic mustard jar and filled it up with fluid and squirted it in the hole :)D) and repeated as necessary.

95GTAODE, have you noticed any leakage? I never tapped a stock pumpkin cover because it seemed to lack the structural integrity to have a hole in it (with decent power, the stock plate can flex enough to seep as it is). I like the idea - that is the main appeal to me of a girdle (the drain/fill plug).

Lemonade said:
Be careful not to overfill it doing this; when you start spinning it high rpms it will puke out the vent.

Conveniently, it takes 2 quarts of lube, and a 4 oz bottle of friction modifier to fill a stock rear end to the level of the fill port. A few ounces either way shouldn't make too much of a difference, since the volume of the rear axle assembly is pretty large.

A third quart would be too much, however.

TRWXXA said:
Conveniently, it takes 2 quarts of lube, and a 4 oz bottle of friction modifier to fill a stock rear end to the level of the fill port. A few ounces either way shouldn't make too much of a difference, since the volume of the rear axle assembly is pretty large.

A third quart would be too much, however.

What if you are running a girdle?

95GTAODE said:
Hissin''

I used a 7/16" oil pan plug with gasket, and I haven't had any leakage yet. It's only been a couple of weeks though.
Thanks for the reply. If you think of it, lemme' know how it holds up after some decent take-offs and drive-time so I know whether I should consider it down the line (I aint got the coin for a girdle). :nice: