80/100 watt headlight bulb questions

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Anybody running 80/100W on their stock harness?? Will it burn up? DO you need to upgrade to heavier wire and relays?? Also, will they melt the headlight housing??

Reason i ask is that i just bought a set of Nokya bulbs for my headlight and foglights. They blow the silverstars away. There is no comparison. The silverstars are yellow compared to these things and they are not blue at all...just white.

Anyway after the install, i read the packages and the foglights are the stock 37.5w, but the headlights are 80/100, not the 55/65 i thought they would be. :(

After seeing them in action, i really don't want to take them out and put the silverstars back in. I just don't want to burn anything up.

• Sponsors (?)

Is this all the harness is???

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ord-Light~bulbs-Heavy~duty~Harness-1-33150.htm

pic33150_9007.jpg

That doesn't really make sense. I thought there would be relays and it would take power from the battery?? This harness doesn't really look like it would help much since power is still coming through the factory Ford OEM harness that it plugs into.

I was kinda expecting a harness with a big relay and power wire coming off the battery or something

Are those the 7000K versions??? I got the 5000K for the headlights. They are nice and bright and white. There is no blue, but after seeing yours, i kinda wish i went 7K. Oh well

What did you use for an upgraded harness??

Nobody has said anything about the fogs. Will they need a heavy duty harness as well or are they ok?:shrug:

These lights look awesome! After some more info on exactly what is needed for install, I will definetly be getting those headlights/fogs!:nice:

Nobody has said anything about the fogs. Will they need a heavy duty harness as well or are they ok?:shrug:

The foglights are stock wattage. 7000K. They look nice and white too. Huge difference from the silverstars. I tried some comparison pics but they didn't really come out all that great. In person they are perfectly white. Now it's time for some clear fog lights.

I adjusted them down a bit so they wouldn't glare. I wasn't aware the fog lights were adjustable but there is a screw that pivots them up and down. I pointed them down a bit.

The headlights have the same screw, so i knocked them down a tad as well. They are nowhere near as bright as the HID kit i had in there before

Update: I found out Nokya makes a different bulb that is standard wattage. They make a 9007 bulb in 60/75 watt. I think it would be better than the 80/100 i have now as i don't need the additional brightness (i live in the city...street lights everywhere) and i don't want to burn up the wiring or headlight housing.

I also got the 7000K versions. I have 5000K now.

What are the stock bulbs??? 55/65w? I don't think a 60/75 will do much harm really. Sucks that i bought those other bulbs now

Why would you want to make all the other drivers have to wear their sunglasses at night?

Lol, these things arent going to be blinding anybody. Ive driven by my cousin, and friends and had my friend drive by me in my car to make sure they aren't blinding. Theres absolutely no glare with them and they look sweet. No ones going to need sunglasses at night dont you worry :nice:

Lol, these things arent going to be blinding anybody. Ive driven by my cousin, and friends and had my friend drive by me in my car to make sure they aren't blinding. Theres absolutely no glare with them and they look sweet. No ones going to need sunglasses at night dont you worry :nice:
Well then I might have to check those out once I wear out my SilverStars :nice:

pic33150_9007.jpg

That doesn't really make sense. I thought there would be relays and it would take power from the battery?? This harness doesn't really look like it would help much since power is still coming through the factory Ford OEM harness that it plugs into.

I was kinda expecting a harness with a big relay and power wire coming off the battery or something

The only way I could see that working is if only the stock plug melts from the heat of the bulb and that would move it safely back. :shrug:

The only way I could see that working is if only the stock plug melts from the heat of the bulb and that would move it safely back. :shrug:

I agree. I don't really seeing that protecting the stock harness from the increased votage draw.

Lets see, stock bulbs are 55/65W i think?? That's 4.5A or current.

These bulbs are 80W on the low beam, that's 6.6A.

No idea what the wire size Ford uses is, but that's nearly a 50% increase in current through the wiring.

That is why i bought the lower wattage versions of the bulbs. I don't want to burn anything up

Wiring wont get burnt up if you have high temp connectors.

And at idle the headlight lens gets a tad hot, but once you start driving the wind cools them down a bunch, there not even hot to the touch.

The highest I would go however is the 80watt. I threw in one of the purple 100watts yesterday and they got CRAZY hot and purple didnt look so good. These ones look and feel PERFECT.

pic33150_9007.jpg

So this harness should be ok to run the 80/100W 7000k bulbs?

Why dont you just save yourself the trouble, head to your local Advance Auto Parts and buy the high temp 9007 connectors for less money. I have the 80watt bulbs in mine.

It's not necessarily that you need a "high temp" connector. With the increased current draw, the stock wiring may not be able to handle the load. Ever see a really hot wire melt off the insulation? I have.

What I was telling you earlier is that you can buy a totally new wire harness that will handle the increased load. It basically hooks up to the battery for 12V and uses the current connector only as a trigger to turn on. The wiring is made from a thicker gauge cable for increased capacity and less resistance. I can't remember where I saw them advertised, but I would not run a 100W bulb on the stock wiring.

If I find that site, I'll post it up.