82 And 89 Water Pump The Same??

Mustang78

Feb 8, 2006
Aberdeen, WA
I just called schucks and they dont have one for my 82GT, but they do have a water pump for an 89. Will it fit? Thanks
Edit: they have a couple girls that work there, and man did it sound sexy when she called it a "5-oh"

~Mark~

• Sponsors (?)

Mark, I believe that the 82 5.0 has a standard rotation water pump and the 89 is a reverse rotation pump. If your old pump is off you could check the impeller blades and compare them to the new pump off of the 89. If they are curved in the same direction then it would be O.K. to use, assuming that the pump hub is the same distance as the old pump.

well they're both serpentine belt driven so they should both be reverse rotation..i looked up pictures on schucks.com and my 82 has two steel tubes coming off it for the heater and one for the 90* hose to intake, and it looks like the 89 didnt have them...either way it's irrelevant now, i ordered the correct 82 reman pump and it will be here tomorrow, 28.00 couldent beat it. it wont be going on till i drop the 351w in there anyway, my stocker is leaking bad from the weep hole

~Mark~