82 Gt Rear End Swap

redagain

Jun 11, 2014
Hi. New to the forum. Just picked up a sweet 82 gt project, one of my "always wanted one" from my younger years. It came (not installed) with a posi rear end that is disc and 5 lug, from a 88 turbo coupe. Would this be a straight up bolt on application. Done alot of wrenching in my years just new to fox bodied mustangs. my last stang was a 68 fastback i restored 8 years ago. Somewhat simpler. Thanks much

• Sponsors (?)

As a direct bolt on as far as controls arms and shocks are concerned, yes. Buuuut, it is 3/4 inch wider on each side. You will have to play with wheels sizes and off sets. You can use factory wheels usually if you retain stock tire size. You will also need a bunch of other random odds and ends. I would just go yank one from a mustang at a you pull it and call it good. throw the disc brake conversion on it later. Ooooor, you can buy the semi built rear end I have in my shop. Lol

best ive got till i roll her out. 88 k original miles. No cancer. Runs. Bought it in the middle of a 5lug conversion and no exhaust. So not driveable at the moment. Ttops, manual.

Attachments

• gt.jpg
    gt.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: 1 user
I love me a ttop 4 eye! (maybe I'm biased...) Welcome to STANGNET!

As said above the width of the rear is not identical. What are your intentions for the car? Has the front been swapped to 5 lug? Do you have new wheels already?

Thanks much. Always loved the 79 pace car front ends and the 82 GTs. Yeah the front is all SN95 converted 5 lug. Still stock 4 lug in back. Been reading up a bunch on the 88 turbo coupe rear swap. Lots of stuff to buy. Seems like a bunch of work. Ideally i just want to get it on the road fro now and enjoy a little summer. Anyway, for now, to just convert the 7.5" stock rear to 5 lug? It will do me for now. Im not planning on building this into a drag car just a nice driver. I do hope to push up the HP a bit down the road. Guy I got it from gave me a set of 5 lug axles that are 29 1/4" long. From what ive read on various threads these are fox length. Going to let the Turbo coupe rear sit on the shelf for now. Any feedback appreciated.

Ideally an 8.8 from a fox is your best bet. You may want to consider finding a rear for a fox that has gears at the very least already swapped in. I know there is a certain ranger axle that you can use for a 5 lug swap but I typically source new parts and not used pieces so I'm not the authority there. 5 lug axles and drums would be all you need and the car will stop just fine. Rear discs on a fox that sees street duty will always work fine.

Ideally an 8.8 from a fox is your best bet. You may want to consider finding a rear for a fox that has gears at the very least already swapped in. I know there is a certain ranger axle that you can use for a 5 lug swap but I typically source new parts and not used pieces so I'm not the authority there. 5 lug axles and drums would be all you need and the car will stop just fine. Rear discs on a fox that sees street duty will always work fine.
Well. Maybe for now the best bet (im on a budget) is to get what i need for the TC rear end and put that in rather than sinking money into the 7.5" rear. It was from an auto car so its 3.73 ratio in it. Just start aquiring the odds and ends required. I down loaded a list off the internet. I also have the quad shock set up for it with the frame brackets.