82 Mercury Capri

hockeyboi

May 7, 2009
Hey everyone, first time on site, have a few questions
i have a 82 Capri with the 4.2L 2bbl

1)does this motor have the same hook ups as a 5.0? as i want to drop one in

2) is the rear end the same? ive been told it has a 8.5, so im hoping this is true

3) does anybody know of any sites to buy capri interior and exterior parts?
thanks so much everyone

• Sponsors (?)

Hey everyone, first time on site, have a few questions
i have a 82 Capri with the 4.2L 2bbl

1)does this motor have the same hook ups as a 5.0? as i want to drop one in

2) is the rear end the same? ive been told it has a 8.5, so im hoping this is true

3) does anybody know of any sites to buy capri interior and exterior parts?
thanks so much everyone

I only WISH there were sites to buy Capri interior/exterior parts! Only luck I've had finding parts are at junkyards, Craigslist and Ebay.

Good luck and welcome to Stangnet. Oh, and post pics! :D

Try Four Eyed Pride. They are the four eye gurus. :nice:

1. V8 crossmember should be the same, but I dunno about the transmission. If you're putting in anything beefier than a bone-stock '83-'84 5.0, the stock trans won't take much of a beating;
2. '82 Capris came stock with 7.5" rear ends. It's a crapshoot on whether or not you can kill it with a stock or mildly built-up 302 - some say they've run for years on them, others can kill them in short order. Plan on upgrading to an 8.8" rear at some point, regardless, so you can upgrade to quad shocks instead of slapper bars for traction;
3. Craigslist or eBay are about your only real options. 5.0 Resto has a few odds n' ends, but not a whole lot. :shrug:

ok thanks guys,
ya i have a mildy modded 302 out of a 89, but ill probably just replace the tranny anyways
so with the 7.5 rear end i couldnt really throw any bigger gears in it eh?

well that does make my life a little easier
thanks alot guys
but that 5.0 should just drop right in eh?

More or less. Some modification of ignition wiring, fuel/vacuum lines, and a good time to upgrade to some better motor mounts (either OEM-replacement 'vert mounts, or Energy Suspension poly mounts), depending on what all your drop-in setup includes, but nothing too drastic if you're keeping it carb'ed. :nice:

If you're gonna go carbed, i've gotta recommend the ignition setup i'm using right now. It couldn't be any easier to wire up. One single key on wire and then wires to the distributor and coil and you're off and running. The best part is that it puts out comparable power to an MSD ignition for only $18.

Dirt cheap Ignition

You are going to want to change the transmission. It's a C5 auto.

If you keep the 7.5" rear it may not even have a limited slip (Traction-Lok) differential. That was optional with the 4.2L V-8 engine in '81 and '82.

If you swap the 7.5" rear out for an 8.8" rear, you'll have to also swap the brake line that goes between the wheel cylinders and junction/vent tube that connects to the flexible brake hose.