Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a 1980 dealer brouchure on eBay....some interesting options back in the day.

12b14967fee78002b76ccb59dc91efa1.jpg

This was a factory option. I think with different wheels it's pretty bad ass

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Picked up a 1980 dealer brouchure on eBay....some interesting options back in the day.

12b14967fee78002b76ccb59dc91efa1.jpg

This was a factory option. I think with different wheels it's pretty bad ass

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
I had the 4 cyl hatch of that very version. ( Actually, I bought it for my wife) it was a flawlessly Mint car, w/ blue plaid seats.

But that 2.3.......It was so anemic that she wouldn't keep it.. Traded that thing in on a ........(are you ready for this?......)

A 89 Suzuki Samurai.

And then promptly wadded it up against a telephone pole.

Got the trim holes welded up, the door is officially a t-top door now!
image.jpg

Tomorrow I start the bodywork on it. I want to be finished straightening it by Friday and reprimer it. Next week.....kona blue!

Reactions: 3 users
Got the trim holes welded up, the door is officially a t-top door now!
image.jpg

Tomorrow I start the bodywork on it. I want to be finished straightening it by Friday and reprimer it. Next week.....kona blue!
Wait,.....you're gonna finish paint ONE door that goes on a car that's still sitting in a JUNKYARD?

You,....are one crazy man.....
And to think,......... I had you in my guest bedroom.......I need to recheck myself for stab wounds..

Wait,.....you're gonna finish paint ONE door that goes on a car that's still sitting in a JUNKYARD?

You,....are one crazy man.....
And to think,......... I had you in my guest bedroom.......I need to recheck myself for stab wounds..
Wait till you see what I pick up from the yard this Friday and do the same thing to.

You're the non-traditionalist here Mike, you should like this!

There is a method to my madness, and some reasoning behind it as well. I let you just shake your head though:nonono:.

Hey! Where's my whiskey?

Reactions: 1 users
Wait till you see what I pick up from the yard this Friday and do the same thing to.

You're the non-traditionalist here Mike, you should like this!

There is a method to my madness, and some reasoning behind it as well. I let you just shake your head though:nonono:.

Hey! Where's my whiskey?

I have a dumb question Dave..(act surprised.)

I know you are going to use the same color/material primer over the entire car- but doing it a piece at a time, over a few months or more. Will it match?

I have a dumb question Dave..(act surprised.)

I know you are going to use the same color/material primer over the entire car- but doing it a piece at a time, over a few months or more. Will it match?
It shouldn't be a problem, but, truthfully, this isn't the be all, end all paint job. You've seen pictures of Robby, he looks like ass right now.

As mentioned before, my wife may have no knowledge of said purchase of Robby. Now, how would you like to spring the newly bought car on your wife. Looking like a rusted basket case piece of sht, or "oohhh, that's a pretty blue" older car?

That said, I'll still lay out a sweet one on the panels as I go along.

It shouldn't be a problem, but, truthfully, this isn't the be all, end all paint job. You've seen pictures of Robby, he looks like ass right now.

As mentioned before, my wife may have no knowledge of said purchase of Robby. Now, how would you like to spring the newly bought car on your wife. Looking like a rusted basket case piece of sht, or "oohhh, that's a pretty blue" older car?

That said, I'll still lay out a sweet one on the panels as I go along.
I have no doubt that Robbys paint job will be Gorgeous- the main reason i ask,is I'm going to try and do kinda the same thing . lol

Here's the door after the initial blocking, you can see the bottom of the door is as ugly as I thought it would be. The other area to really fix is around the door handle, I'll push it out from underneath while tapping around the dented area to shrink up the metal a little and bring it up to even with the rest of the door.

The bottom? I'll pull out the larger dents, tap down the high spots and bend up the rear lower edge (it got smacked inboard a little at some point in it's life). Then I'll put a coat of glaze over it. It shouldn't need regular bondo after I'm done with the metal work.
image.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
^^^^This is how a real body man fixes stuff,...the rest of us, and the guys on that dumb assed show Just use filler. (What was it called?......where the "Pro's competed against the Joes" to build a car????) Car warriors??
Those guys, even the Pros just slathered on bondo over everything and blocked the thing straight from there as opposed to spending one extra minute w/ a body hammer.

Just like me.......

How so? Will your mustang stay black? What are you going to do? Now you got me wondering.
I'm kind in the same boat. Someday, in the far distant future, I would like to repaint my car. It's already been repainted, but not very well. I overpaid a collision shop (the only one I could find near Dover, DE that did custom work). I've since found out that they used the cheaper paint and clear when they painted it (chips really easily), and they couldn't be bothered to get any of the body gaps right.

Here's the door after the initial blocking, you can see the bottom of the door is as ugly as I thought it would be. The other area to really fix is around the door handle, I'll push it out from underneath while tapping around the dented area to shrink up the metal a little and bring it up to even with the rest of the door.

The bottom? I'll pull out the larger dents, tap down the high spots and bend up the rear lower edge (it got smacked inboard a little at some point in it's life). Then I'll put a coat of glaze over it. It shouldn't need regular bondo after I'm done with the metal work.
image.jpg
I would really love to see you doing this kind of work. It just seems like magic to me.

I'm kind in the same boat. Someday, in the far distant future, I would like to repaint my car. It's already been repainted, but not very well. I overpaid a collision shop (the only one I could find near Dover, DE that did custom work). I've since found out that they used the cheaper paint and clear when they painted it (chips really easily), and they couldn't be bothered to get any of the body gaps right.

I would really love to see you doing this kind of work. It just seems like magic to me.
Monkey with a hammer is all.

When you get started, holler at me, I'll help you out as much as I can.

Man I haven't seen you around in years!

hah yeah I kinda fell out of the scene for a little while. I was doing auto body for a living and got burnt out on wanting to do anything to my car after working on other people's cars all day. Plus I had a kid, started a real estate company and have just been generally too busy lately. But I started buying parts again, including a t top body i just got a few days ago that i'm going to either swap everything from my 87 to or just build up separately.

Me neither man, it's the first t-top coupe I've seen in person.

The other guys know the story, but, I was going to this inactive yard because the owner had parts for my '86 t-top.

On the way to the back of the yard to lay claim to a hatch we walked by this and he casually mentioned he'd sell it for "oh....a thousand bucks". I spent some sleepless nights deciding which child I could sell for enough to get it.

I've paid for the car and am now building up the parts just to make it a running vehicle. Hopefully it'll be running by the end of September. Then it'll be registered and on the road again after a fifteen year hiatus.

Man that's an awesome find! I would have jumped all over that as well. A t top coupe is the ultimate find in my book. One day I will have one!

I got a little bit done on the door today. This is payday, so when the dealership owner hands out paychecks, it becomes a ghost town. I ghosted as well!:eek:

Anyhow, I got the dents pushed out and the door handle area pushed out fairly easy. I then glazed it. I didn't show a picture with the mud on it because my boss handed out checks as I was slinging the mud. Once that paycheck was in hand, you could actually hear a pop from the vacuum of me moving so fast to get to my truck that it created a mini sonic boom.

So, here's a door ground down, woohoo I guess
image.jpeg

I'll show a picture of the mudded door tomorrow, I'll block the bondo in the morning and hopefully reprimer it on Friday.

I have to go to the yard tomorrow night, the owner is a fireman and he has to work Friday. So no late night working on the door tomorrow. I'm going to try to get as much of Robby tomorrow as I can.

I feel like Johnny Cash, I got it one piece at a time.....

I got a little bit done on the door today. This is payday, so when the dealership owner hands out paychecks, it becomes a ghost town. I ghosted as well!:eek:

Anyhow, I got the dents pushed out and the door handle area pushed out fairly easy. I then glazed it. I didn't show a picture with the mud on it because my boss handed out checks as I was slinging the mud. Once that paycheck was in hand, you could actually hear a pop from the vacuum of me moving so fast to get to my truck that it created a mini sonic boom.

So, here's a door ground down, woohoo I guess
image.jpeg

I'll show a picture of the mudded door tomorrow, I'll block the bondo in the morning and hopefully reprimer it on Friday.

I have to go to the yard tomorrow night, the owner is a fireman and he has to work Friday. So no late night working on the door tomorrow. I'm going to try to get as much of Robby tomorrow as I can.

I feel like Johnny Cash, I got it one piece at a time.....

Your skill level amazes me Dave

Stop teasing me, what other project?
I wish I could tell you my "other" project was an '80 Capri or a Ttop or something that's actually cool.
Long story short, it's a Dodge Dakota, it has absolutely no monetary worth. It's in terrible shape-I am 31. My Dad gave it to me when I was 16. I no longer have my Dad,but I still have that truck :)

I swear this is the last derail I'll do on this thread for as long as I can lol

Status
Not open for further replies.